Saturday, March 4, 2023

Book Review: "Reminders of Him" By Colleen Hoover

 


Time is all we have so don't waste it!

Look blood may be thicker than water but in many cases it's still all we have to connect us and sometimes the past must be forgiven to gain traction in the present and for future purposes.

Having just laid to rest my dad on the 10th of February, having never been close as his only daughter among 3 brothers, having been the scapegoat for 49 years leads me here to today. His memorial mass is today, the gathering (cremation service) was yesterday, and later today his burial is something I never thought would happen much less never attend.

So, this book has touched numerous heart strings for me personally as I never felt loved, appreciated, nor acknowledged even as an adult mother of three with two in college and one as junior in high school.

This book is about mistakes yet it's about parental love behind bars and what all of that entails. When a stranger raises your now 4 yr old child as his/her own is breaks internally the bonds that are needed.

In fact, upon reading this yesterday afternoon I was sitting inside my car in a local park, glancing down at the cellphone clock, wondering what it must be like to be at a memorial gathering in which you're welcomed and invited. It was hard knowing I wasn't told my dad passed away nor have my three kids treated as if they're his 3 of only 7 grandkids as we lost my niece at 12yo from a car accident in Florida after a young man was drag racing on I-4 at 8am on a weekday.

Colleen Hoover manages to bring such emotional turmoil and heartfelt trepidations that it leaves one breathless. In this case we have Scotty-miracle boy-killed by a drunk driver. You can't imagine the connection to a character in this book.

Then we proceed with Ledger trying to right the wrongs and brings some sort of semblance and peace among all.

Diem the 4 yo daughter and her birth mom Kenna are forever linked biologically but she's been raised by Patrick/Grace whom filed a protection order from Kenna serving prison time.

I can't imagine writing this book much less learning that this isn't the end of Kenna's story. She's a fighter and she's determined to find a way or make a way to the path forward with her gal.

She's not going down without a fight as every mother can relate or any parent be that as it may be.

She's got Ledger in her corner and the eternal bell has just sounded off.

I love the ending and couldn't imagine a better way to provide closure.

No comments:

Post a Comment