Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Book Review: Someone's Else's Shoes By Jojo Moyes





JoJo Moyes has nailed it with this superbly crafted piece entitled, "Someone Else's Shoes."

It begins with these two completly opposite women in all of life's experiences. One is being led to the slaughter by her soon to be ex-husband while the other is hanging on with her spouse suffering from his recent father's passing and other personal issues. Loveless marriages seem to be the common denominator.

The idea surrounding these fancy red high-heeled shoes that are taken unsuspectingly by Sam from Nisha is quite a treat.
The journey into this recovery process, the lengths that family/friends partake, the professional layers just adds so much joy and humor.

There's nothing better than being immersed in a book so much so that you lose all track of time. The fact that this book discussed thrift stores in tracking down the items was ironic, the fact the father passed from cancer even more so, the final -too close for home- discussion around divorce and how the other sought to destroy not just the wife but the family was a harder pill as it was too close to reality.

The only gripe, if I had to list one, would be the women feeling they needed a man to survive. I prefer strong women having been on my own since 17 years, bankrupt, homeless, LT unemployed, 12 yrs. joblessness until this past 21st of February.

Folks, life is a maze of ups and downs. Having just lost my dad at 80 yo. on the 10th took the wind out of my sail as I was his only daughter whom wasn't informed that he passed at 418am that morning. I was eventually told by my son hours later into the day while I was in the ER dealing with what was diagnosed originally as pneumonia only to later learn with a side order of Covid/sepsis.

I'm thrilled these ladies had some bargaining chips or as my dad would say, "some pokers in the fire."

Many women give up so much in marriage especially our careers to forward our spouses opportunities and are left holding the bag literally and figuratively when it all comes crashing down for that younger option.

Stay strong ladies and never lose sight of the prize!

No comments:

Post a Comment