Thursday, May 4, 2023

Book Review: "City Of Dreams" By Don Winslow



I absolutely loved the first City of Dreams but this wasn't my cup of tea.

You see as a strong feminine woman I don't enjoy women being portrayed as eye candy, pieces of meat, and body parts as if you can't have brains and brawn.

One of my biggest pet peeves is the portrayal of women in a male dominated world and this just ate at me raw.
The female characters were either sex slaved, drug addicted, or in your words, "whores."
It's a huge turn-off and takes away from the story being told but therein lies my next issue. The plot didn't go anywhere. We seemingly went from Danny being a gangster, heroine addict, and loser in his own right to Route 66 for kicks and not much behind the romps.

In fact, by the end it was all but a dream on a beach and it really was lost on me as I normally don't give bad reviews.

Here's some of what I wrote in my notes and I quote, " Christ, but the tits on her, and those legs."
"He went to a whore and did his business...Then he made a confession, said his prayers of penance, and lit a candle and asked for Bridget's forgiveness... A man has needs and flesh is weak. It meant nothing."
"Blow job lips."
"Ana's petite, but with a nice rack..."
Not to mention the religious quotes that were offensive and seemed to be tossed in for shock value to increase sales ...
" I know Catholic girls ... you can't get them started, but once you do you can't get them stopped."
"Three dates later, when she gave it up, she gave it all up."
Or, perhaps the quotes that were vulgar even from women... "Well at least you got your rocks off."
"Star pussy" probably sealed the deal for me.

It was just disgusting and it took away from my interests in reading it anymore when you disrespect women in this manner.

To make it even more interesting we have a movie actress named Diane who then makes loves with this gangster and all holy heck breaks loose.

Diane Carson's own brother had killed on her behalf and now Jarrod the bro is dead because someone uncovered another disturbing piece of this puzzle involving rape.

One overdoses on pills while another fights for the rights as we all must pay for our sins and as the ending suggests it's all but a dream ...

No comments:

Post a Comment