Thursday, May 28, 2020

Book Review: "The End of October" By Lawrence Wright

If you've not picked this up yet don't let my review sway you because variety is the spice of life but let me tell you -I spent three long days- trying to complete this one because of what several other reviewers noted- It wasn't so much the research but the writing style lacked the substance to make it enjoyable and interesting as if felt contrived.

I understand writing is hard but when you focus solely upon your research you miss the important aspects for the readers such as character development, plot twists, setting and atmosphere which becomes stagnant and stale without such action.

I really wanted to just take a DNF but felt perhaps it was just my mood and not the book but after reading Roxane's review I realized it wasn't just 'me.' Thankfully she's much better at words than I so I'll leave a link of her review here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/3319017961?book_show_action=true&from_review_page=1

It's worth noting that this was written prior to current stages of the pandemic so it was quite a roller coaster of emotions reading the author's insight and fictional portrayal with a ripe adage of anticipation.

The plot twists of lack thereof were hard to process with our Henry the protagonist and his higher status yet unable to provide security for his family or even get a gesture of a simple plane ride back home.

It was the underdeveloped characters and shifting POV's that had me perplexed with too much explanation by the author as to the why's and how's without regard to the pure pleasure principle.

Well onward we must go and I hope you find this well.

Thank you to Bibliotheca for this E-read in exchange for this honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment