Monday, January 30, 2023

Book Review: " The House Across the Lake" By Riley Sager





 I literally feel like I was just sucker punched in the gut! Wow! That was quite something from one Pennsylvanian to a native one!

Folks, this ain't the lake where your parents come to retire...Nope, this lake has depth, despair, and distraction.

The House Across the Lake is quite fitting for a country bumpkin born & raised with lakefront property across the street. So, to get you into the mood/feel you'll need to grab your binoculars, check up on your neighbors, & a grab a seat because the show's about to start.

I seriously was going along with the flow (no pun intended) until midway when this book took off like a jet liner coming into Avoca Airport!

Hot damn, East Stroudsburg couples ain't got nothing on Wilkes- Barre residents & if you need proof just watch 'On Patrol Live' as we've been the hot feature for weeks now.

In all seriousness, these characters are to die for, gosh darn, I meant to say they're so darn real..., No, I mean to say, they're so dark and conniving! Yes, that's the ticket. LOL! Enter sarcasm here.

In fact, I wouldn't be glancing over your shoulder just yet but I would be shaking in the boots as things are getting hairy, wet, and wild.

"Not so fast" is a saying we often hear used elsewhere not with thrillers. In this case, it was creeping with that stalkish feel until the lights went out, the souls departed, the ghostly beings came through, wait...what?! 

I'm sorry my thoughts escaped me, lol. I must be imagining things. Or, am I?

If you thought Home Before Dark was hot ... https://thesecretbooksleuth.blogspot.com/2020/07/book-review-home-before-dark-by-riley.html

Or, that Lock Every Door enticed your senses you might just be in for a shocker!  https://thesecretbooksleuth.blogspot.com/2019/07/book-review-lock-every-door-by-riley.html

As we say here in NEPA -you ain't seen nothin' yet. Heyna?!

Now, I won't hold it against the author/publisher that they won't provide ARC's to this speed reader with over 100% feeback at Netgalley while having over 1,300 books read in 2020 via Goodreads prior to having medical issues (temp leg paralysis/herniated disc/robotic hysterectomy) in '21 or that my pop now has end stage spinal cancer as a navy vet & we're prayin' he makes it till Spring for my son's 4 yr. college degree because in all fairness people don't realize The Secret Book Sleuth is the same one from 2015 who deleted her account '21 for these reasons expressed.

Now, I'm back on my feet but I can't say the same for the characters.

Many reviewers including myself do feel slighted with the start of this one. It did seem sluggish with the same setting of a drunk female character "Cee" trying to find her way after her hubby Len passed. The grieving widow may not be all she's cracked up to be.

However, with this noted we also must understand that we have two different avenues to explore and two different families & sure as rain it came together in hard core fashion.

The Royce family is hiding some misgivings with some hatred flowing upstream while Casey Fletcher is trying to have her cake and eat it too.

Dang girl! You can't have it both ways can you, I mean men have for years, right?

When these two live across Lake Greene from one another we know that there's more than fireworks being set off.

Supermodels and actresses are a thing of the past for these two ladies yet, they seem to have some similarities in their choice of spouses and in terms of what they're willing or not to accept in marriage.

Some women simply put their foot down while others sink the whole damn boat! This often leads to a train wreck of victims if you're not willing to take care of biz & end the cycle of abuse.

Therefore, I can only offer this...grab a copy from your local library & ENJOY.

Thank you Osterhout Free Library for this copy. 

She's out till we meet again...

No comments:

Post a Comment