Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Book Review: "In the Orchard" By Eliza Minot



 Mom of 4 (newborn from Emergency C Section) goes off on a tangent (about 1 day) at an apple orchard.

Trying to get over having no debt with being financially stable and carrying on raising a family.
Keep dreamin' girlfriend because there's never a break. Never a time when you're fully debt free as the bills come monthly regardless of wealth.

Now, let me tell you I should and could write plenty about emergency c-sections and in fact reading other reviews I wonder myself how you're able to move following one. I was shored up on my back stuck at the Ronald McDonald House after having one & needed assistance merely walking.

My issue is there's no direction with this ergo the reason for the 'tangent' description as we meander throughout the story lost.

I was hoping for more concrete storyline that followed a general sense of direction. In fact, considering Netgalley app showed this having only 161 pages I figured I'd zip through but it was a bit fluffy in many spots.
Hoping to connect on many levels as a single mom x 3 (2 in college with one in high school) never happened. Having 3 high risk kids from birth with one med disabled for life and one emergency c-section from a placental abruption didn't have me connecting here.

I never breastfed nor had assistance in raising my kids (married but spouse resided 5 states away w only weekend visits) left me seeking more.

As someone whose son spent 2 months in NICU and battled for life going code blue multiple times and with babies dying nearby I simply can't get over that I couldn't connect. Sadly, this was not as in depth or as full as I'd hoped it might become and the ending simply fell flat.

Thank you to Eliza Minot, Knopf, Netgalley for this ARC in exchange for this honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment