Monday, January 16, 2023

Book Review: "The Prisoner" By B.A. Paris

 



First and foremost I must properly thank B.A. Paris, St. Martin's Press, and Cloud Library for this amazing copy.

Look I'll put this bluntly - B.A. (Bernadette) is a great friend from across the pond. I fell in love with her books from the beginning but this one is probably my least favorite.
Having said this, the issue I've had was with the timeline. Noting the past/present situation before heading into the chapter on "Reckoning" which went to present time & was determined to see it all through till the end.

Unfortunately, the flipping timeline is not only difficult for readers but harder upon writers to keep it straight and not get burned out in the end. I feel honestly as if this might've happened here.

Not to take away from the great work of one of my all time favorite authors.

In fact, I've conducted a skype with B.A. for our local library and I've mentioned how her books remind me of my own failed/abusive marriage. When I married a malignant narcissist (happily divorced 2013) I'm sure many didn't know we were even married and the few who did probably thought it was for the money. Lil, did they know I married for love but he had other intentions.

It was a quick monopolization but I wouldn't call it romantic more like convenient on his part to appear 'normal' and so that's the way this one plays out. Convenience for a number of various reasons that aren't well known till the end.

I must say the capture, imprisonment, kidnap, murders, and the elusive nature of it all was great. It just seemed to fizzle as the story progressed in the traveling aspect seeking justice for Amelie.
As they say never mix business with pleasure and with that you'll find this novel is full of antics in which everyone plays a substantial role. The characters are interesting from Amelie's (main character) spouse to Ned (the hated son) to the elusive yet wealthy father in law (Jethro) and many others within this close knit group.

I enjoyed the propositions, the money trail, the preparations/planning that it took to carry it all to term.
When several characters get knocked off the platform it's anyone's guess as to who is the kidnapper, abductor, and murderer. Who is telling the truth? What type of reality check do we have here.
As we all know victims can form bonds with their captors. Will that happen here? Stockholm syndrome is real and it makes readers ponder if this is where we might be going.

In the end, it's the last person standing scenario that truly is unique especially in regards to all the trauma, turmoil, and drama surrounding the storyline.

The plot thickens as they say and you most certainly don't want to miss this one as it's already out on the bookshelves or available through online channels.

Sometimes there's a slippery slope and other times there's love in the air. Which one happens is always fascinating to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment