Saturday, August 31, 2019

Book Review: "What is a Girl Worth" By Rachael Denhollander

If you want a book that illustrates the power of one voice to create change coupled with the force of many voices in showcasing the horror of cover ups and abuse than this is your book.

Nobody wants to be a target, to put themselves in harm's way, yet we know to save others we must.


Rachael Denhollander is a hero to so many for being the first to speak out against the abuse suffered by Larry Nassar and USA Gymnastics. She is the force behind the justice for all.


This should be required reading for many individuals especially those in the family courts as so often we find women's voices being silenced, not believed, adding to their trauma and forcing them to relive it under constant constraints and pressure of those unaware of just how damaging it all is upon them.


I'm a survivor and I've read over 1k books a year and I assure you I've never had a book bring me to tears, moved me so profoundly, and inspired me so dramatically as this one.
It's so well written, so beautifully and thoughtfully processed, so eloquently illustrated in words that my own writing probably won't do it justice.


"What is a girl worth" "These children are worth everything the law can offer."
"Little girls don't stay little forever. They grow into strong women that return to destroy your world."


How much is a young woman worth?


In the end this is what it looks like: 
When selfish desires override safety and love for others.
When adults ignore sex assault claims.
When institutions create a culture where predators can go unafraid and unabated.
When authority figures refused to listen, fail to create proper policy, and fail to provide justice.


In the end the more you love the harder you fight.


What I've come to know and have counselled other to do is to journal. To write. To tell your story. To make your voices heard.


One alone is not making waves. Together it's a sunami.


When women stand united we stand proud and we cannot be ignored.
This book literally gave me goose bumps because the ending was truly powerful.
The voices that spoke out against abuse.


The lives that were taken at such an early age and altered but not destroyed.
There's a saying that even broken crayons still color and this is so damn true.
Hell hath no fury like a women scorned.


We must protect one another.


We must not be afraid to speak.


When people asks why we didn't speak out we must not be embarrassed or ashamed or guilt tripped into staying silent.


This is not ours to own. This is the sickness, illness, and abusive toxic behavior of men who have gotten away with crimes that should've been stopped from the first hint of trouble.


I'm dealing now with a malignant narcissist who seeks to destroy me and our family. My main goal is to protect my kids.

I know what's like to live in the flight or fight response and I know what's like to be downgraded and not believed.

Yet like air I rise ...and so shall you!


Never give up and for the author I commend you for your efforts here.


This book has moved me in ways you cannot explain in mere words. 


You have touched on sensitive topics that truly needed to be explained in entirety and you have done all survivors justice in your writings.


God Bless all survivors of abuse and their families.

No comments:

Post a Comment