Sunday, May 16, 2021

Book Review: "The Menopause Manifesto" By Dr. Jen Gunter

 



First and foremost I must say, "Thank you" to Dr. Jen Gunter and the publisher for providing this ARC that I enjoyed reading on my 48th birthday.

I can't think of a better book to read on this special day then one as important as this concerning women's health.

This was extremely well written and discussed many important aspects and questions surrounding pre and post menopause and what every women should know concerning both.
It was discussed in a manner that was clear, precise, and accurately depicted with illustrations, charts, and graphs that provided the extra sense of security and support.

As a woman who is closing in on my 50's with severe microcytic hypochromic anemia do to heavy menses, that I knew this was not only necessary but needed reading. I've suffered all my life from a variety of medical issues including vertigo, severe anemia, severe spinal stenosis, 20 yrs. of pneumonia, allergies, asthma, COPD, chronic bronchitis (non smoker), and much, much, more.

I've had three children with the first being a placental abruption with massive blood loss and blood clots requiring an emergency c-section with life flight for my 5 week early son born with vater syndrome.

My two other children were also high risk and with complications from SUA (single umbilical artery causing low birth weight) to a more simple case of jaundice.

Everything you can imagine I've had and or have had to endure so this book was a much welcome change to finally set the record straight.

As a woman my doctors operate from a 'monopoly' and with my extreme poverty status my medical is fully covered by the state but unfortunately, the care I receive is horrific.

I'm not always understood, I'm mocked and mimicked, I'm not taken seriously and in many cases I'm ostracized as my complaints go back thirty years and good luck trying to get answers when you have doctors who think acute bronchitis is not chronic bronchitis and you have to argue for them to change the status on your file.

It's ludicrous that when I go in for something basic like a lung test that I'm told I'm tangent in thoughts when I have a history of misdiagnosis with ten minutes of time to discuss the repeating cycle of issues that has yet to be resolved.

So, for the ladies out there I can empathize with you and I know having filed a written complaint to my hospital over the mistreatment that it's not easy to have your voices heard and or be taken seriously.

When all you want is answers to resolve the issues and all you get is B.S. it's exhausting.
However, Jen Gunter is here to give us those answers and thankfully she does in mighty fashion.

For example, did you know if you skip two periods of your menstrual cycle in a row that you're 95% final period will happen within the next 4 years?

Did you know that genetics, smoking, dietary, hormones, underlying issues such as HIV or auto immune can all play a part in your current situation?

The more kids you have the later your menopause may occur which is quite interesting.
Estrogen and hormonal treatments were also in full display for discussion which was extraordinary to read and understand in this format presented.

Due to my severe anemia I was given b12 injections and iron infusions and was having additional headaches with weight gain. I had made the decisions to forego them both because of the medical issues that were resulting.

Upon reading this book I noticed that B12 injections have small amounts of aluminum which is the top reason many refuse vaccinations today.

All of this and more is in this book and I couldn't be more proud to have read this gem. It should be on every woman's table as a 'go-to-help-guide'.

No comments:

Post a Comment