Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Book Review: "The Dressmaker's Gift" By Fiona Valpy

I'm often asked how I rate a book and I'm glad it's asked because I've seen other reviewers rate based how they like the characters, unexpected v expected outcome, historical factors even if fiction based, but rarely do you hear about the writing, the plot, the flow, etc.

I'm one that also adds on more to this mix:emotions. In the end, would it be something I'd recommend to others? Did it stir up the creative juices? Was it moving and heartfelt and captured the moment even if not an accurate portrayal?


If I answered yes then for me that book deserves a higher rating and this is one such case.
I always preview my book blogger/reviewer opinions and take them to heart before I set my own review out there.


In this case I disagree with many when they comment on inherited trauma and whether or not it was wise to bring this into an already heavy mix of dark and depressive formats including the horrendous time frame involving Nazi occupation.


I believe it's better to have placed this in here for discussion and for insight because it will get others talking.


With this said I didn't mind the back and forth time lines nor did I mind the fact that the granddaughter magically ended up right where she was meant to be in examining the past.
Can one die of a broken heart?


Can the past be re-written?


Will the closure be evident?


I can't imagine the horror or the pain those during WWII experienced but I've read plenty to get an understanding of how I hope history doesn't repeat itself.


Will these characters ever reunite: Together in life and death?


Now that's the ultimate question here and I love the way the author addressed it all in her own way!


Kudos!

No comments:

Post a Comment