Saturday, November 2, 2019

Book Review: "JAY-Z" By Michael Eric Dyson

"In many ways, this is JAY-Z’s America as much as it’s Pelosi’s America, or Trump’s America, or Martin Luther King’s America. JAY-Z has given this country a language to think with and words to live by."

"This book wrestles with the biggest themes of JAY-Z's career, including hustling, and it recognizes the way that he’s always weaved politics into his music, making important statements about race, criminal justice, black wealth and social injustice. As he enters his fifties, and to mark his thirty years as a recording artist, this is the perfect time to take a look at JAY-Z’s career and his role in making this nation what it is today."


Truth be told he is a rapper, an artist, a HUSTLER, a man for which less is known about his life beyond his current works.


Ergo, why I was interested in picking this one up and learning more.
It just was't my thing with the way it was written, the language was off setting for me, the premise wasn't much beyond what we already know.


I wanted to love this as back in the 80's I was that gal with the 'boom box' always in tow with Queen Latifah, Ice-T, Digital Underground and all the rappers on my play lists or shall I say cassette tapes for those dating themselves.


However, I just didn't find my anything that really excited me to flip the pages.
Thank you to Michael, the publisher, NetGalley, and Amazon Kindle for this ARC in exchange for this honest review.


As they say,"variety is the spice of life." So pick it up, and ENJOY!



No comments:

Post a Comment