Thursday, September 12, 2019

Book Review: "Crushing" By T.D. Jakes

Why do the righteous suffer? Where is God in all the injustice?

A few days ago, I came across Steve Harvey's interview in which T.D. Jakes was discussing not only his daughter's dilemma but also his new book Crushing.

I immediately jotted down the title and went to my my libraries online service to place a book hold that very day.

Which brings me to today as I'm so glad I did because I honestly have never read his work and was attracted to his demeanor, his sense of character, his empathy, and compassion for his family as well as his thoughtful insights in helping others to heal in living their best life.

Crushing is not just about getting over negativity or self deprecating thoughts. It's an advancement into one's thought process and soul inspiring motivational and creative means.

By this I mean that God has put you into a spot you need to be in to awaken you, to enlighten you, to bring you to your knees for growth.

He did not bring you here to leave you here. "Quality takes time, and you are God's masterpiece."

You must understand yes awful things happen, injustices happen, yes we are all flawed and we all sin, yes we can repent, and yes we can find love from within.

One of my fav thoughts is by the Romans : If God is for me who can be against me.

You can't imagine the fear, the crushing moments, the thoughts of why me but Lord knows you cannot be bitter you must get better.

I'm so glad this book discussed the need to help others because by helping others you ultimately improve your relationship with God.

We are all our brothers and sisters keepers. We are put on this EARTH for a reason.

I learned the hard way not everyone is authentic. Many sell you a good con job. Not many these days are empathetic or compassionate for those who've fallen upon hard times.
While it's easier to blame, shame, find fault and place guilt it's not so easy to reach out and offer a hand up rather than a hand OUT.

I know this first hand by having been left bankrupt, homeless, LT unemployed, with three teens my oldest being med disabled from birth for life.

We lost everything we owned yet I didn't say why me I went out and instead increased my volunteer hours to help as many as I could when time & compassion was all I could offer of myself.

One of my greatest experiences as TD Jakes describes was in that transition from being down on my luck to helping others and finding new avenues to recreate and explore for personal and professional means.
Fall down seven get up 8 is my motto.

Make wine from that crushing experience.


The story about his teen daughter getting pregnant was so inspiring. Can you imagine the growth not only his daughter experienced but the growth it took as a father watching your child go through such pain?

More importantly was the manner in which they all succeeded but success didn't come by having a crystal ball it resulted from trial and error. You cannot see the end of the road but you must have faith and belief in a higher power.

You must give it all up to God and know he wouldn't lead you astray.
I was truly impressed by watching his interview with Steve Harvey and perhaps one day I will meet this amazing man.

Until such time I will continue doing what I've always done in my service to others for the common good.
You see being bankrupt and homeless has taught me plenty from within. God doesn't want to see us suffer. He has chosen us for a reason. We are strong enough to carry the message.

It's not about the accolades or awards although receiving the Points of Light Award from our 41st President was quite an honor and a blessing.

It's about not giving up. It's about being a beacon of light for others. It's about learning to find loss among the ashes.

The Phoenix rose from the ashes.

Maya Angelou once said, "But still, like air, I rise." https://www.poemhunter.com/poem/still-i-rise/
We all have within us the ability to make wine from the crushing.

The crushing is not defeat. No it's a blessing. If you are open to the message.

No comments:

Post a Comment