Saturday, September 14, 2019

Book Review: Don't Wait Up By Liz Astrof

As a single mom of three teens with a son med disabled from birth seeing this book sitting on the library shelf waiting for me to take it home felt like the omen from the man above.

Yet, it wasn't quite the salvation I had hoped for as it was quite disarrayed and felt disjointed to me and hurried.


While motherhood doesn't come with that magical book of how to's it's meant to be trial and error. Within those errors are our strengths as parents try to adjust in raising kids to adulthood so they can fly off using their own wings.


For me their wasn't much hilarious action as the preview noted and yes I'm from the Pocono Mts. so I can easily relate to the Great Wolf Lodge opening credits or shall I say digs. Sure the chlorine is a bit much but it's better than the alternative. Yes, floating poop happens especially with young children all around 24-7 and surely the water rides are breathtaking if not scary especially for us ladies with skimpy bathing attire that can easily flip or flop (if ya get my drift).


I also related to the author's past hardships and not so easy childhood so I can understand how some feel it was passive aggressive in her writing style.


I must note this for me just seemed a wee bit off and I don't know why as it had all the ear markings for greatness.


It was a quick read in fact I read it prior to getting my daughter from school and never checked it out of the library as I finished reading while there.


So perhaps you'll feel more connected but for me I just didn't feel the empathy, compassion, concern of love of raising a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment