Monday, September 30, 2019

Book Review: "Roaring Back" By Curt Sampson

This was an exquisite entry into the unknown world behind the scenes and out on the course.

The problem I had is I'm a mom of three who only plays miniature golf for fun not a golf pro so I was lost at time with all the stats, the expert knowledge of the game, and or the end results.


In all honesty the reason I read this was for the stardom factor and the title Roaring Back.


With the latter being focused on the come back kid and how he overcame so many obstacles not just personally but professionally and medically.


Having suffered from spinal stenosis all my life being told I have DDD in my late 40's left me pondering why I wasn't diagnosed till my legs buckled and was near paralysis with pinching on spinal nerves from severe foraminal narrowing.


Turns out a simple procedure but costly answered what I always suspected it wasn't just 'normal wear and tear' that the doctors and physical therapist tried to convince me of and in fact I had torn disks and numerous other issues requiring fusion much like Tiger.


I was aware of Tiger's upbringing with his extremely fierce, loyal, and critical father Earl but knew very little about his family, his mother, his children, or the affairs.


I heard gossip mills running rampant for many years with his lack of media talks and on and off the golf course antics but his affairs really set the tone for my dislike.


I eventually lost interest and refused to listen to anything he had to say. Until the day I was in so much pain I couldn't sit without my legs going numb and tingling and the discussion on the much needed spinal surgery with the end talk on heavy pain meds.


I never did get the surgery because of my fear over the opiods and strong pain killers prescribed to previous back patients and I knew Tiger had multiple repeated surgeries to keep correcting past work and limit extensive pain. So I do empathize with him in this regard as his car crash was more than just mixing pain meds it was a deep humiliation.
I feel this book was well written but not for a novice more a professional.


While I was able to connect on some levels I had hopes of connecting on a deeper level and for that reason I wasn't able to give a higher rating.


As the author noted there's no denying the combat did wonders for the golfing community.
Many are cautious to see where it all goes from here on out.


Thank you to Curt, the publisher, NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for this honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment