Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Book Review: "The Other Family" By Loretta Nyhan

Therapy for the soul!! Family is not always by blood. Family can be by choice.

Lets face it-Today's world is not the same as your grandparents. History sadly repeats and often in the wrong direction entirely with more turmoil not less, but for the sake of some books to travel within the pages we'd be lost.


This is one of those books that grips you without letting go -so YES! Have the hanky handy as my grand pop used to say.


This was emotionally riveting with a divorce on the horizon for Ally and Kyle being adopted suffering from a compromised immune system.


As a sufferer for many years I was just diagnosed (46 yrs later) with allergies, mild asthma/copd, chronic bronchitis (after 20 yrs) and HUS ( fatal blood disorder via a hospital computer) non of which I've been told in person but read about in notes after each visit. In fact, I'm a day late in reviewing due to complications (Nausea, tension headaches, eye strains-blue light) from the above issues and many more underlying ones ie. Spinal Stenosis, Raynaud's, Pulmonary Embos, DVT, and more.


So, when I tell you I understand this story deeply I do because I also stem from a family of narcissists and married into the same (happily divorced w 3 teens since 2013) with visitations every other weekend for our youngest.


I get it and I hope with DNA-genetics-wanting a diagnosis-& I highly recommend the Author's Notes- explaining the intricacies and why she wanted to write this work.
The Other Family hit all the markers for the next great read.


Thank you to Loretta, the pub, NetGalley, and Kindle for this ARC in exchange for this honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment