Monday, April 13, 2020

Book Review: "The Southern Book Guide to Slaying Vampires" By Grady Hendrix

Have you ever read a book late at night and couldn't wait to write the review before anything leaves you memory bank....

This was superb, in fact it was the best book I've read and since I don't normally read horror books it's saying plenty.


I'm not sure if others are aware but I just learned and felt I'd share here: bibliotheca (cloud library app) offered this book & while I love Netgalley my request with them was still pending as of March 31st.


So, with this noted it's 10pm (way past my bedtime) I've read a ton of books (speed reader) yet I dropped everything with nearly 90 ARC's waiting for me @netgalley and put another e-read literally on hold when I was notified that my library hold arrived tonight a few days early.


What I loved was everything. It was carefree, flowed well, beautifully written, fully engrossed plots, characters that were multi dimensional especially James and had me fully engaged on full throttle.


I couldn't let go as it started off lovely with a cute little book club and its members increasing in spontaneity and excitability.


Was it dark? Sure it's horror but was it too much - hell NO!


Which is another reason I enjoyed it because I can flinch and get through it quickly and move on.


What appeals is the action, the suspense, the mystery knowing someone is lurking.
Patricia I adore you!!! You are my hero. Why? Because what housewife or former in my case (thankfully divorced a malignant narc) doesn't feel devalued and discarded in some way throughout the marriage and in terms of raising kids (hello, Mom of 3 teens here!!)
With this said, this book club was supposed to be her saving grace that's until the artistic and sensitive stranger catches everyone's eye.


When kids go missing everyone suspects the stranger might be a Ted Bundy type of whacko and starts to unravel it all.


Unsuspecting people who invited a monster into their homes, their lives, their tight knit community may now need to be saved literally and figuratively.


Because this monster can wear two sides of the same persona like a psychopath with years of experience as he dashes in and out of everyone's life with magical precision.
Will this monster ever be caught?


Or will this madness continue with using others to garnish a euphoric feeling, keeping the dead entombed, and using individuals blood like a 'dialysis' for one's needs.
We are only as strong as our weakest link? Right?!


But what if your weakest isn't truly all around human?


Can someone live forever? Can they see in the dark, be tenacious, go after kids w/o emotional attachment, and be isolated and alone?


Is that possible? What if one goes after the isolation since connection seems void?
Can you ever truly make someone disappear?


OMG!! This was a blast!


Thank you to Bibliotheca, Cloud Library, and my local library for mentioning this app that I never knew existed till now. A true pleasure all around!


No comments:

Post a Comment