Thursday, December 26, 2019

Book Review: "F*CK NO" By Sarah Knight

Pleasantly surprised!

Having a strict upbringing I was initially put off by the title as it's a bit 'in your face' and 'loud' but you should truly never judge a book by its cover.


This was quite a unique take on an old problem in which for women (mainly) have a hell of a time saying,"NO."


We often are the do all gals who have to be in control many of us suffering from that common issue of people pleasing and conformity to not wish to ruffle anyone's feathers.


Heck, we forgot the labels if we do speak out - who wants to be the Biggest Biotch- if they do simply say -NO with gusto!


So I get the point however in this case Sarah expands that concept to include boundaries and self reflection and the need to prioritize while staying true to self.


We lose a part of ourself when we become the puppet and not the master of our own ways.
Our self confidence, our courage, our talents become held back and forfeited by going along to get along.


If you're an overachiever you know where I'm coming from especially those who must have all their ducks lined up in a darn row!


I see ya and I know what's like to be married to an arse who takes your work for granted and only has the occasional weekend connection (yes, how else would an 11 yr marriage work?!) or the 2 second call in to make sure you'll still alive while tending to the kids . Yes, it's toxic with a malignant narcissist - so ladies I get it!


I also know how it feels to completely become absorbed into someone else's world and lose a sense of your self in that bottomless black pit of nothingness - losing so much precious time- you can't get back.


So, instead of feeling bad just do it! Like NIKE!


I recently had a situation in which I was up to my neck in drama and events. I'm a single mom of three teens with one car (enter sympathy here) and exhausted trying to do it all daily especially in extreme poverty and after being left homeless and bankrupt without a job due to raising a family solo.


I'm trying to re-enter the workforce but my health has faltered so it's a constant struggle and my ex spouse (aka the malignant narc) and I are in court every year or so; and this time it's for his contempt of court after he failed to repay our kids educational funds. However, the point is we are all busy and need time to rest and relax. I never get that; never a day off; as there's never a day the kids don't need me.


So, imagine here comes the cheerful PTO mom's and worse they immediately hook you up with group chat (Oh, Goodie).


Now folks, I've been in and out of hospitals, lawyers, doctors, dentists, 3 kids in 3 schools, ya get my drift?


What could be better than not only getting those annoying txt's at 1030 pm about your kids school being in the spotlight for having some loon threaten to blow it up the day before ?
Well, of course having these rich moms parade around on private school property while annoying the heck out of ya with group chats.


Now, I'm all for the sharing of the love but not when suffering a collapsed lung, hacking up furballs with possible COPD, with 20 yrs of med problems that've been kicked down the road until now.


The last thing I want is these cheerful over the top needy ones to be txting about parties and social events round the clock while my phone is going off like an alarm clock.


I begged them to exclude me, even went so far as to politely ask to not put me in group txt and my phone is a Samsung S5 (yes I'm that poor) and I can't remove myself after you include me.


UGHH! So the mom notes to send a dm if you don't wish to be included after of course you're included! WHAT the F... NO>>>>>


Well, here's food for thought -- Why not ask before you include?
JUST SAYIN!


I have no problem saying NO in fact I'll flavor it up if you don't understand me the first time and say,"Geez,Remember when I sent that email asking I not be included?! Can we not honor that agreement?"


Sometimes if you must be direct and specific do it as some are just nauseatingly stupid and ignorant as they truly believe everyone is having the time of their lives and many of us are struggling to simply get by especially those of us locked into poverty seeking work since 2010.


So, if you must say NO do it and don't ever regret it.


It's your right to do so!


Thank you to Sarah Knight for this interesting read as it was a change of pace for me and was exactly what I needed to read while snuggled in front of my fireplace on Christmas Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment