Thursday, May 23, 2019

Book Review: "I Was Hungry" By Jeremy K Everett

What if it happened to you?

Aren't we all just a paycheck away?


How would you feel if you became homeless and were ignored by society?


Would you help or would you hope the problem never existed?


These are questions one must ask being on the front line of this increasing problem.


We are not talking third world countries we are talking right here in the USA.


So many people are suffering needlessly with safety nets in place & the reasoning as to why may shock you.


So many presume they know why as the myths are ad nauseum against the poor yet do you really know the truth or some pre fabricated story line told from generation to generation.


This book challenges everything you thought you knew about the poor, the homeless, those suffering from food insecurities.


This book also addressed faith and helping one another through open eyes, open ears, open hearts, and open minds.


In case you're wondering why I read this it's because I too am part of this process that is playing out across our nation.

I won't go into every detail but safe to say read my profile, follow my links, and be open to change. 

We need a government that works for the people not one that wishes to blame, shame, and scapegoat others into further despair.
We need a system that provides a hand up not out.
We need a system and a society that doesn't squawk at those less fortunate but rather is compassionate, empathetic, loving and helpful because together we can make a difference.


The author notes we all need to join hands and come together united.


To read my story with Points of Light awarded by President George HW Bush please see this link: 
https://www.pointsoflight.org/awards/donna-m-gatcha-hines/

"The Shocking Truth About Food Insecurity" was a collaborative media effort involving the re-telling of my personal story and taking it all the way to the steps of the White House by Clancy Cash Harrison former Director of Al Beech Food Bank in Kingston Pa. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HakCAdPrlms

This led to my story being selected to be told to every member of Congress through Community Voices by Rosa DeLauro (D-Conn). See Page 38 for my story: PAGE 38 here: 
https://d3b0lhre2rgreb.cloudfront.net/ms-content/uploads/sites/9/2015/10/07191013/CommunityVoices-web-003.pdf

For more information about poverty, food insecurities, or my story as told to every member of Congress please see the links provided:
My last volunteer position held prior to requiring back surgery this June was with CEO (Commission Economic Opportunity) feeding families in need like my own.
I was not only a volunteer but a recipient and have been for several years.
The link to that story is provided here: 

https://www.citizensvoice.com/news/closed-store-converted-to-help-families-in-need-1.2413795

To learn more about the WIC program that helped me feed my children during these struggling times as newborns please see this link:
https://www.mfhs.org/?s=donna+hines

My personal story as seen on Goodreads profile is also listed:
https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/47259487-donna-hines

No comments:

Post a Comment