Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Book Review: "Two Weeks" By Karen Kinsgsbury

Relevant to the times of today this novel addresses a woman's choice to have an abortion or whether to give the child up for adoption when facing hardships and turmoil not of her own doing involving sexual abuse & teen pregnancy.

As a feminist I didn't care for the damsel in distress scenario as many woman today have children at an early age and don't have to wait to be saved by the doting male counterpart and many choose to abort because of abuse or detriment to the mother's health.


However, if you choose to look from a different perspective you may side with Cole who was about to head to college majoring in medicine when he fell in love with a woman carrying another man's baby and simply wanted to do the right thing by everyone including himself.


Depending how you choose to interpret the author's stand on abortion will determine how you ultimately rate the review and enjoy the novel.


For me I felt the compassion and empathy towards Elise and towards the adoptive parents (Aaron and Lucy Williams) who tried desperately to have a child for ten years.


Two weeks is the time frame she uses to make her final decision whether or not to keep her baby.


In my personal opinion I applaud the women today for standing up for their rights to abort or not as it's an individual choice based on many factors in the women's life.


It's not a choice to make lightly and has severe consequences.


I'll never forget being offered that same choice to abort when doctors notified me after blood w
ork testing that my child may have down syndrome (actually he was born with Vater Syndrome).

I was told I could abort and declined due to my faith in the lord above.


I knew he wouldn't give me more than I could handle and a gift from God is a blessing.


For me it was not a choice in choosing life but my circumstances was I was having a baby born out of wedlock and in a way was embarrassed as it went against everything I was taught but like many I was taken advantage of and our relationship consummated quickly with the malignant narcissist.


He wanted me to be barefoot, pregnant, and controlled so yes mine too was abusive in every form.


My son will be graduating this year and heading to college and no longer receives disability payments.


Life is full circle and for those in this situation you must make the decision for your own personal well being. Nobody could've made that choice for me!


This notion that men have a say in a woman's body is like saying woman should have a say in whether or not the man is able to be forced to undergo a vasectomy if he doesn't tend to his children's needs. 


My body my rights!

No comments:

Post a Comment