Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Book Review: "Strange Bedfellows" By Ina Park



Watch out Dr. Ruth there's a new gal in town named Ina Park!


I absolutely loved this new work entitled simply," Strange Bedfellows" as it took a common issue for many and made it lighthearted, funny, educational, and without stigmas associated for further discussion.


What's not to like when attempting to banter about STD's - I'm sure we've all had that infamous discussion -especially those with kids- about sex, the birds and the bees, the HPV Vaccines.


Seriously, why does the pediatric doctor look at me like I have three eyes when I tell him my three teens aren't sexually active? Like, really - NO, I don't want your HPV vaccine and Yes, I do know all about it.


In fact, I openly talk about STD's and the risk with them after divorcing a malignant narcissist who was not only a womanizer but a cheater and adulterer. So ladies, it's quite simple: Everyone he slept with now becomes your bed fellow too. I can confirm his previous mistress had Herpes-so yes, do get checked if you find yourself in similar circumstances in which your marriage vows weren't chiseled in stone nor respected as they should've been by your partner.


Please, don't be embarrassed to get checked as I have as you may be surprised with the results.


I know many women that contacted me in private to discuss STD's in fact one told me that not only was she impregnated by him as a teen, gave the baby up for adoption, but then went back to him and had casual sex for the next 30 yrs. including while he was married to me and we had three kids together-one of which nearly died at birth after I had a placental abruption with severe blood loss forcing a medical staple to still be in my pelvis area 20 yrs later following an MRI scan. My son was eventually life flighted upon birth with Vater Syndrome (for life), two months NICU, and I was patched up and sown back together after an Emergency C-Section with two more complications of pregnancy. One was a jaundice baby which was nothing but sunshine for days. The other was SUA -Single Umbilical Artery with low birth weight.


I'm also an avid speaker about HPV which I had along with the Leep procedure and Pre-Cervical Cancer after the fun Pap Smears we all love to hate. In addition, I'm also a rare medical specimen with many other auto immune issues: HUS -fatal blood disorder, severe anemia-microcytic hypochromic anemia, pre-diabetes, severe spinal stenosis, Raynaud's Syndrome, Vertigo, COPD, Chronic Bronchitis(nonsmoker-diesel fumes factory worker by loading docks), Allergies, prior Heat Stroke, and the most recent fun - Sinus tachycardia which was a gift after being given the flu shot with pneumonia shot because I've had pneumonia the past 30 years. I learned this problem after being diagnosed with Influenza A this past February.


I've never had the sit down doctor discussion because I'm in extreme poverty ergo paid medical for poor and when I talk about 20 yrs. of misdiagnosis I'm told I talk too fast- yet, I try my best to get answers for 20 yrs. of misdiagnosed illnesses. Do you know I was prescribed an emergency inhaler but couldn't get one because the doctor was so new she didn't have proper paperwork on file. How about the hospital that gave me an appt. 3-5 months out for a 3 day priority to be seen order. Or, when I was trying to uncover bronchitis issues (yes, told acute after 20 yrs. not chronic) only to learn it was as I thought chronic and in addition I had HUS -a fatal blood disorder- that was never informed of till I read it in my e-file report that was never discussed. When I questioned the results and asked why I was never told they altered the report and said I was cured. Ergo, why I filed a Statement of Disagreement and would advise other women to do the same when their medical concerns go misdiagnosed and ignored.


Someday, I pray women will be able to have an open discussion on issues that affect them without being criticized or told as I have by PT's- I could pull anyone off the street with the same issues as you have as my list is lengthy especially with regards to my back issues alone which are so bad I had an MRI and it was discussed in a CT scan which resulted in a finding of a benign thyroid nodule.


However, this is where Ina Park comes in because she took those discussions many of us are afraid or uncomfortable asking and turned it into a chick-lit -STD's For Dummies- discussion in a respectable yet honest way.


I love when doctors aren't stuffy, uptight, and let loose and just tell it like it is without the fancy medical terminology yet with enough educational common sense approach to make it enlightening.


Who would think a book on STD's would be entertaining, enlightening, and fun?
Seriously, if you have any concerns, any questions, or any insight that you never wanted to bring to light -here's your chance.


Thank you to Ina, the pub, Netgalley, and Amazon Kindle for this ARC in exchange for this honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment