Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Book Review: "The Upstairs House" By Julia Fine

 


Nothing is as it seems and certainly nobody prepares you for the shock of childbirth via natural or other means as everyone's case is different.

Remember that because really I'm not feeling this one. Perhaps, it's because I nearly died to have three kids. Perhaps, it's because I suffered from an Emergency C-Section and those hard as rock (boobs that produced milk but bottle fed with gas pains was excruciating as a new mom) and for which I was stuck in bed unable to roll out with zero stomach muscles, and this slight issue with a ripped open stomach -literally-that went unhealed and my own mother had to suture closed with butterfly bandages from my third venture out that resulted in shipping my parts away for life. Ahh! Thank you for throwing us ladies to the curb after having a placenta abruption, SUA, and Jaundice babies. Healthcare leaves much to be desired.

However, I digress because during my stay at the Ronald McDonald House nearby my local hospital my own food was stolen from the freezer so I might just be a bit livid.

Now, on to this show because here we have a young lady-Megan- and her newborn daughter-Clara- along with her husband -Ben.

In this story we have another lady Margaret who is stealing the show with her antics alongside Megan and her postpartum depression. While I felt sorry for them both I'm not sure the intro to the lover helped to seal the deal for me. In fact, Margaret was deemed to be an impersonator and sadly her lover Michael couldn't have kids. They met in Maine and she wants to marry another guy named Bill Gaston but he's married to someone else at the moment. Poor lady, has to wait for divorce or go solo. He's fifty by the way and she's 29 from what I gathered.

Eventually, this story progresses to the point of dire straights. Child abductions. Death via cancer.

And a host of other issues too plentiful for this review.

All in all I just didn't feel much beyond the connection to the new mom moods in the beginning and beyond that the rest for me was just odd.

My kids are all older teens and in college now so perhaps the nursery books are long since forgotten here.

Thank you to Julia, the pub, NetGalley, and Amazon Kindle for this ARC in exchange for this honest review.


No comments:

Post a Comment