Thursday, February 25, 2021

Book Review: "The Therapist" By B.A. Paris



First and foremost I must say, "Thank you" to BA Paris, St. Martin's Press, and all those who played a role in providing me this widget for review.

I must also note I'm not just a fan but a friend of B.A. Paris and waited since our last book discussion group in which she mentioned this upcoming read during that skype interview at midnight her time and 6pm EST for us here in the states. Which goes to show this lovely woman's demeanor, character, and fan appeal, but most importantly friendship.

I still don't know how she does it all married with multiple kids as I have three teens and I'm exhausted without having a full time career but rather a full time job freelance blogging.
I'm also an avid reader of her work having been provided gifted copies many of which were sent airmail, signed, and have been a treasured item that I will forever have in my possession.

This new work entitled, "The Therapist" was a good reminder of why we should never trust anyone just based on a label alone.

In this day and age it's easy to miss the warning signs as we're all busy leading our lives but in this case Alice and Leo are renovating a home when they come across some deeply troubling news.

The Circle is a close knit community but now it's also the place of something deeply disturbing and troubling from two years prior.

In fact, I'd dare say it's not just one person that's bothersome but actually more than one that brings this to fruition causing panic, anxiety, and terror among the remaining residents.
So much so, that a private investigator is hired to uncover the truth about Nina the prior resident of this home.

Could this newly hired investigator get to the bottom of things? Well, glad you asked because the answer is most certainly, YES! However, it's with some yellow caution tape and a whole host of lies.

Now, not to frighten or alarm but there's something off here and these neighbors are just the beginning of this trail of destruction.

You know -Bernadette- this reminds me- when we had that interview via skype - I remember thinking to myself and I believe I even mentioned to you -how your books always hit a trigger for me regardless of the storyline. This one is no different for one main reason-con artist- are able to blend in -alter their surroundings-say and do all the right things to fly under the radar- appearing as malignant narcissists so often do as nothing more than a nice law abiding citizen. A truly great person. Yet, from your own previous books -Behind Closed Doors- for example -we know these monsters are anything but nice.

This reminded me of all that and then some in fact it also reminded me of how we cannot put all our eggs in one basket. We cannot let our guards done. We must remain vigilante.

All this from one book which is saying plenty because I don't steer anyone astray in reviews. I will tell it like it is and in fact, for this one it is much different than what I've become accustomed too but successful in a different light.

I've noticed the past few books have a different appeal with less scary, fight of flight, traumatized triggers and more of your thrill and chill type work.
Which is alright but for me my personal favorites are still her earlier works because that's what I've been accustomed to reading in this genre. This is on a much lighter, airy, and less frantic style that still has suspense, mystery, and intrigue but not quite the same strong hold draw.

Well, for now what I can tell you is this much - even those closest to you- should be on the radar. As there's Oliver being accused, a woman being silenced and forced to go along, another three women gone, and a host of information that is about to be exposed by an unlikely source.

I will say this the person responsible will not appear as a monster.

While, initially I'm sure the group was glad to have a PI on the scene, I wonder if that view changed as the evidence came out piece by piece.

In fact, the initial passport information is the turning point and after that it appears things really began to take shape with many people playing various roles to conceal.

John, Thomas, Tim, --whatever! You are someone who wears many hats.

In the end, there's questions of infidelity, death, missing individuals, and so much more that you'll want to be on guard and reading with the lights on.

Much love and success to my friends across the pond!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment