Sunday, February 19, 2023

Book Review: "The Beauty of Rain" By Jamie Beck

 



Life and Death is fleeting. Nobody is guaranteed a tomorrow so embrace today with open arms.

What can one say other than I'm typing this after exiting the hospital on the 10th with what I was told was pneumonia. Antibiotics ordered. No IV fluids administered after suffering sinus tachycardia simply walking to the building. Upon exiting I was told to check up within a week with primary. Within an hour I located my online med file/test results and learned I had tested positive for Covid/Sars. Indeed, I spent two days tracking down my doctor via instant messaging through this online portal. I finally was provided a prescription for Covid meds and spent ten days in quarantine.

You might think this isn't all that bad until you learn my dad passed away in FL while on vacay while I reside in PA. My brother kept me up to date bedside chatter with doctors via 'What's App' which I never heard of till that Wednesday. By the time I entered the hospital at 10 am on the 10th my dad had supposedly passed at 418am that same day. My kids and I were never called but instead a family member eventually mentioned to my son online and my son finally told me.

I was devastated to say the least especially upon sharing the news online that he passed as his only daughter only to get crickets. Not one person offered condolences. I honestly live as if I'm truly invisible to the outside world and it's mind blowing as to why?

I see others share the deaths of loved ones and it's met with so much emotional and loving support yet for me I can't get one person to do the same for me yet I'd give my shirt off my back and have spent 20 years of my 49 yrs volunteering and raising my 3 kids solo.

Well, in regards to this book it's a tear jerker. To learn of Amy's suicidal tendencies, the issues with prescription meds, the passing of her son and husband is all deeply troubling.

Couple this with her sister Kristen who has to be the strong one and supportive while processing her sister's death and vision from the other side is enough to make you take stock in Kleenex.

It's a deep disturbing yet a discussion of life and death that we all must address. My father had end stage cancer at 80 yo as a Navy Veteran having served in the Cold War 61-66 on USS-Shangri-La.

He had a sudden heart attack from three main issues: valve stenosis, atril fibrilation, and weakened arteries cardiomyopathy. Any of these could normally be fixed via stent however, with underlying end stage cancer that's pushing up his diaphragm causing his lungs/kidneys to falter it was an 'out of options' for the doctors and a resort to 'end suffering' and provide 'comfort care.'

We were given a multitude of other options ie. ventilators, meds, and more but in the end the body is shutting down.

I'll leave you with this as I've overheard from the Dr. to my eldest brother, " He defied the odds of nature." He fought for all of you and he fought a battle he knew that his body was shutting down and that caused him anxiety. He souded mentally in tact but sadly it's the body that faltered and he was given morphine to end the suffering and allow his body to relax naturally putting him into sleep restfully as we'd all want to go out.

Please, please, please know that you're not alone. That we all must meet our maker. To go out with dignity and strength instead of gasping for air as my dad was leading up to his final days -sleeping upright in reclining chair, having my mom rush to his side when his breath crackled with that god awful wheezing isn't living life it's fighting life to win.

I'm so glad my dad is in peace and I pray that everyone has a chance to read this beautiful book because it's well written, thoughful, and dignified.

Thank you for this ARC in exchange for this honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment