Thursday, February 16, 2023

Book Review: "The Winners" By Fredrik Backman

 



Ok, once again I'm not going to gush because I haven't received an ARC copy from Atria (who I truly believe can't stand me) nor will I gush because I've read every book by this man and just watched the movie by Tom Hanks with A Man Called Otto.

What I will be is real, honest, and give ya the facts as I see them or forever hold my peace because I don't toss out 5 stars like cookies because of the accolades and free giveaways.

With this noted I was lucky to get a hardcover copy from my local library. Yes, please support those places not just Netgalley.
In addition, there's roughly 670 pages in the hardcover so be prepared to be there for some time. I believe it took 2 days for me with Covid pneumonia/sepsis.

Now, the issues : rape, violence, abuse, money laundering, and more isn't for the faint of heart.
Sure, we've got Hed and Beartown going at it again with the town hockey. There's the big elites wanting to line up the nepotism for pure greed on the council. Then, there's the overtly causes that take everyone down with a rifle being conveniently located in the pickup during a shootout.

If you get beyond the fluffy and full characters from the past you'll be introduced to a few newcomers that add substance to the entire plot.
The issue I have is yet again with the portrayal of women as victims being raped without credibility from their peers. Allow me to show a line or two, " Feminism has fucked everything up for men! It's biological, did you know that? That women should stay at home and have babies and look after the home, and men should build society and protect the family! Women say they want equality, but they actually want tyranny, you understand that, right? They never want guys like us. Because we're losers. They only want the meanest guys. Because they say they want freedom but biologically they want to be dominated. It's in their nature. They want a man to force them up against a wall. Do you know how many girls have fantasies about burglars? A masked man attacking them? They don't dream about heroes. That's just in films. Heroes never get the girls in real life!"

Folks, I'm all for authors expressing themselves but when do we stop normalizing this?

My issue is women are being killed through rape, violence, sexual assault, and more. We carry these scars as victims of abuse for years and are traumatized beyond words. Can we please stop?

Therefore, because of this bs I gave this one star less as I'm a fan of Backman but not this societal normalization of abuse.

In the end, this book brought sorrow, grief, yet happiness and guidance with a woman in the end claiming the title of Beartown.

No comments:

Post a Comment