Sunday, February 12, 2023

Book Review: "The Stories of My Life" By James Patterson





James Patterson is the type of guy you either love or hate him. 

Sorry, Stephen King but this guy wants to be top-dog!

With this said, I feel as though this is almost too narcissistic for my tastes. I understand it's a memoir but I was hoping for less greatness and more humility.

While it's good to think highly upon oneself this seemed overtly done to the point of ad nauseum.

Many well respected writers don't need to write to conquer the world. They write because they enjoy and love to tell stories. They appreciate others reading what they write. They organize/gather/document and go through tremendous years to become a successful writer and do so without putting other writers in the cross-hairs of fire.

I'm not a fan of Stephen King to the max as some of my fellow reviewers but I do think that respect is earned not freely given.

This is one that reviewers who obtain his work freely will throw the 5 stars out like candy but for me I tell it the way I see it. Straight shooter here with or without the free accolades and ARC's.

His writing for me has stayed steadily consistent over the years.
Some of his work I've immensely enjoyed whether collaborated with other authors or not but in all fairness I find his stories lengthy but also with short sentences so easy for speed readers.

The thing I most enjoyed was the ending and the fact he still holds hands with his loving wife Sue at bedtime. In addition, I enjoyed some of the back story with his co-authors like President Bill Clinton and his fancy affairs with 5k a dinner plate extravagant outings.

In closing, I do appreciate his constant attention to reading, writing, and communicative writings. His family has donated plenty of time, money, and books to libraries in promoting reading. His time spent with young kids to propel interest in writing is to be commended.

So, do with it what you might as this gal is out with covid pneumonia. I'll happily keep my John Updike autograph and be on my way! :)

Till we meet again!

No comments:

Post a Comment