Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Book Review: "City on Fire" By Don Winslow





Will the Irish forge a dynasty?

Will anyone win over Pam's heart?

Dogtown here we come as we battle in war between the Irish and the Italians.

Mob bosses, hijacking involving drugs, cancer patients, pregnancies/abortions, sexuality issues, and a host of major heavy hitters are active and engaged. If you're a person who is squeamish on the darker side you may want to take a seat.

This is after all Don Winslow and there's nobody better to write a thriller much less begin a trilogy with the zest Winslow possesses. If you think that's wild just follow him on Twitter!

The only issue in fairness for me was how they treated the woman. Abusive natures, slapping in face, requesting abortions, derogatory references ie. whores isn't my cup of tea and I hope male authors start putting woman in stronger roles rather than weaker more submissive roles.

It's time to rise up!

As for the rest of the story I couldn't help but sink into the motion with the narrator. He nailed it in describing and discussing everything so splendidly that I think for those who didn't enjoy the reading they might want to give audio a try.

For me, I'm currently with Covid Pneumonia/sepsis/sinus tachycardia under a 10 day quarantine. So, I've been requesting more audio as I'm sleepy from meds and sick/coughing and it's easier at the moment to just close your eyes and listen.

I really enjoyed the Danny Ryan character especially all the wheelin' and dealin' and double crossed action.

In addition, the same day February 10th when I was diagnosed with Pneumoia sent home from ER and then told Covid positive I also had lost my dad to end stage cancer.

I've noticed lately every time I switch up pace and exit from something else it's for a reason. This book talked about the death of a spouse Terry and how there's nothing doctors could do anymore to help. Comfort meds is all they got to offer her. Doctors are giving up as I recall was the exact terminology.

There's no greater pain than this yet, the way this was worded was exactly what I just went through with my dad. He was on vacation in Florida. My brothers all down there but me and my three kids. We were provided audio of the doctors bedside chatter. It was horrific, scary, and reminded me so much of the few lines told here in City on Fire.

We exist to die I believe was another terminology used and it just struck me raw.
In closing, Chris Palumbo thought he was winning. Danny saw too it that he lost Big Time!
Danny wasn't going back and wanted to start off clean.

Who the heck could blame the guy.

Living life on the run ain't for everyone.

Thank you Bibliotheca for this audio as it is highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment