Sunday, December 13, 2020

Book Review: "Don't Wake Me" By Martin Kruger



Do you trust your own mind? The dark line between what's real, what's figments of the imagination, and those cumbersome staged actions that result in one shocking reverberating yet redundant noise.

My mind is playing tricks on me....

My word this was absolutely PERFECT!

Don't Wake Me started off with so much gusto and plenty of spin but the storm continued to roll on through this novel like a tornado wiping away the land, the setting, the repressed memories, and the characters relationships.

I can't recall a time that I had to quickly write 5 pages of notes for an immediate review for fear that I'd forget any one detail that was pertinent to the storyline because it totally floored all mental capacity.

I've been through abusive relationships with mental mind games. Gaslighting and manipulation was served up like fine wine. Silence from threats and intimidation were part of the player's game.

This however my friends took my breath away in every format.

The best way I can describe this one is as one big mind FU-- . If you get my drift!
For this gal who spent her life in rural mountains with no human interaction, zero year round residents, and only summer folk this hit the spot.

The Lackawanna Forest surrounded my home and I was always nervous having nothing but forests, woods, isolation, and wild animals nearby. Yet, Manny Gordon-Yelled out-Enjoy -Enjoy-The Great Outdoors!!

This book capitalizes on all of those thoughts in one magnificent thriller by Martin Kruger with no loss in translation. BELIEVE YOU ME IT WAS FRIGHTENING.

For many readers the hardest part is patience, trusting your instincts, following your heart and mind, and not losing sight of the end as it's a lot to consume but worth the wait.
The beginning involves a woman named Jasmin the wife of Jorgen and mother of Paul.

There's been an accident upon the dark roadway (another fear of mine with the deer that were the dumbest of animals in the mountains as they'd run right out into your car even if you stopped dead)and the story goes that she can't recall what she hit but knows she hit something.

Now many might say it's a person, a drifter, an animal, or heck a spirit of sorts but does Jasmin trust herself?

Look, I know you may want to end this early but do this book a favor and hang in and read with a fresh clear mind not one bogged down from days of reading--Trust me! Thank me later!

There's so much thrown at you in this one from a fire at a sanatorium, a massacre, numerous characters entering scenes quickly, and weird bizarre actions occurring concurrently.
What is real and what's not-That's the question.

Could Jorgen have had enough and ventured outside his marriage for an affair with a woman named Hanna Jansen? Should Jasmin do the same and fly solo having her own needs met? Two to tango?!

Could their son Paul be missing, has he been kidnapped, is he dead?
So again I ask can you trust your mind?
Wait, this just in.... Breaking News!!! "I know what you are!"
OH SHIITE!!

Ok, I have to type fast as this got so damn real.
What's the heck is up with this hidden forest, graves, I can't see through this smoke, fog, mirrors....

Where does this road lead? What cabin?
Wait, what????

She must've hit the drifter, this homeless person, this unknown individual... Right?
Where's the body? Wait a body was found at the beach? Was it dragged there from the road?
Did she move the body, bury the bodies, what's up with so much death?
Who is this Gabriela Yrsen -why is she here?

Who is Christian Herrickson? What nurse? Wait...

Who needs intervention when you're perfectly sane, stable, and confident in your own actions?

After all you're your best judge of character-so why is Jasmin's family involved- especially her dad?

Ok, perhaps it was just a fox, perhaps Paul will be found, perhaps Jorgen is a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Little side note by Donna:
Did I ever mention how I had to call the police on my neighbor after a night of heavy drinking in which he hit two parked cars before attempting to park his car in the driveway right next door?

I literally thought it was because my LED lights were too bright.. Don't laugh-My neighbor said I seen what you did there.

I mention this because there's plenty of twisters in which all goes dark and then a light shines through for a brief moment and it goes dark again.

FYI: drinking and driving don't mix. Death is forever-Don't risk lives for a night of fun.
I called the police that night and my neighbor lost his license for two years.

I wonder what might result in this case - will they find the body, was it a mere animal, was it an unforgivable accident?

Oh, darn - more breaking news- what car seat, Sven is a colleague of Jasmin, what psychiatrist -who needs all this and why?

Payback is a biotch, the karma train is worse, and life goes on... this is all I know for certain.
Martin Kruger -you win! I offer high praise for this one!

Now, if only I could remember what day it's and what year after all these stay at home orders, hybrid schedules, and rescheduled meetings.

Life is busy but you have to keep up.

Now what year did you say it was again.... OH MY GOD! How could so much time have elapsed already.

This ending my friends was to die for literally and figuratively -no pun intended-but it was mind altering, hallucinatory, hair raising, and overpowering.

WOW! This is a must read!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment