Saturday, December 12, 2020

Book Review: "Truth, Lies, and Second Dates" By MaryJanice Davidson

 Let us remember: "A literary trope is the use of figurative language, via word, phrase or an image, for artistic effect such as using a figure of speech. The word trope has also come to be used for describing commonly recurring literary and rhetorical devices, motifs or clichés in creative works." Wikipedia



As for this newest work by MaryJanice Davidson I wasn't feeling the humor, romance, or the mystery because it felt like everything being tossed at me all at once.

Now to be fair prior to reading I received this from the author," Let's hope you don't find it a *complete* waste of your time. Just a partial waste would be fine." ;-)

This was probably my first clue going into this that perhaps it may not be for a thriller/mystery fan.

I've actually never read a defined 'trope' work prior to this so I'll put that out there. 

As for this novel it started off with Ava's best friend being killed. Ava is quite the feminine superior character in that she holds a fab career, is quite independent, and is extremely tenacious in every aspect.

The events are set in motion for disaster immediately upon uncovering Danielle's murder (best friend).

The unraveling fiasco that followed was way too much for my taste so much so that I asked my college aged son to define his definition of a trope as my original definition wasn't fitting.

I can only state that I sometimes will read fellow reviews by reviewer friends to see if I'm correct in my thoughts and framing but sadly non of my fellow reviewers read this one.

So I'm flying solo and going out on a limb to note that it's not my cup of tea but perhaps it may be yours. I've never been one to say don't read anything that interest you nor will I do that here.

Authors put many years of hard work, effort, and love into every book so it's worth a read on that note.


No comments:

Post a Comment