Sunday, December 13, 2020

Book Review: "Everything I Thought I Knew" By Shannon Takaoka



I can't recall a book moving me to tears as quickly or as concretely as this new work from Shannon Takaoka.

I suppose when you suffer from underlying medical issues for most of your life along and have children with medical disabilities it's not hard to fall in love with this thought provoking novel.

The idea is not only real but heartbreaking: What if you receive a transplant and it comes with more than just the mere thought that the person who donated died so you could have life.

It's such a difficult and excruciating thought to imagine yet what would happen if you could become truly one with that person who donated the organ. Imagine being able to feel a much deeper, more thorough, and more inviting experience with that individual.

This is the case of a young woman who collapsed during a college sporting event in need of a heart transplant.

Her life takes a turn when she becomes oddly enough interested 8 months after the transplant in surfing. Surely, the attractive male instructor named Kai may have something to do with this sudden newfound interest.

As the story unfolds it's done so with kid gloves on in handling a very delicate and extremely personal situation.

My heart goes out to anyone whose had to undergo such an emotional roller coaster especially for my friend who had several lung transplants as I volunteered for ALA (American Lung Association) Fight For Air Climbs with her watching on the sideline as we ran to climb for a cure.

It's personable, it's heartbreaking, and it's so important to tell this story and I'm so glad Shannon Takaoka did this with dignity, class, caution, and profound love.

A must read!

No comments:

Post a Comment