Monday, October 26, 2020

Book Review: When Women Pray By T.D. Jakes



Crush those grapes!

Ladies, you need not forsake yourself.
Jesus knows you are thirsty, he doesn't want you to suffer, if you stay in faith and pray he will answer your prayers.

God is good!

As T.D. Jakes notes: there's no pain quite like the pain of isolation, despair, sorrow. That feeling of being unworthy, unappealing, and unloved.

My favorite quote: "I praise every wife who chooses to willingly set aside her own career in service to her family. We need more tenacious women in the world."

Yet, as I've written to Mr. T.D. Jakes on Twitter- I noted that I gave up career to raise family in support of supporting my spouse in his career endeavors and while he furthered his own agenda and divorced me leaving us bankrupt as a family of four. I found myself bankrupt, homeless, LT unemployed with a dual masters being told I'm over/underqualified and when I mentioned volunteerism for 20 yrs to fill the gap I was then told by President of the United Way in Wilkes Barre Pennsylvania that I came across as entitled as if my volunteering should be rewarded with employment all while in extreme poverty and job seeking for 10 years straight.

So, while I try to remain positive I note this cold call email which resulted in an interview that left me in tears because while these books sound great in spirit in reality the world is hard, cruel, and degrading to women.

I wish Mr. Jakes would've responded to my concerns about how women are viewed as only 'stay at home moms' as I was in family court seeking child support after my spouse accrued 15k in arrears.

OR when I was going to the library to feed my three kids as they offered my spouse preferential treatment for having a paid position.

Or when I was seen as non believable or credible simply because I had zero 'earned' income.
This is our reality and women should rightfully so be afraid of this new norm.

In fact as a former minister of hospitality and the only female usher in my Catholic church here at St. Ignatius of Loyola in Kingston Pa I was confronted and disturbed by three male ushers who ripped a collection basket out of my hands during Sunday mass.
The male ushers felt women like myself took over their jobs and they noted to one another," There's more of us then them."

When I mentioned this to our local vicar having raised my three kids in private catholic schools that feed into this church I was told that the men need time to come around to this new line of thinking and even after doing this volunteer work as female usher for nearly a full year having volunteered for 2 yrs I was told they didn't know who I was which was a downright lie as I stood every Sunday mass at the back of the church with the male ushers when I wasn't sick with HUS (fatal blood disorder) and severe anemia with sever spinal stenosis.

All in all this was an interesting read but sadly those of us without income are struggling and we need serious help STAT!

No comments:

Post a Comment