Monday, June 17, 2019

Book Review: "City of Girls" By Elizabeth Gilbert

"I've longed to write a novel about promiscuous girls whose lives are not destroyed by their sexual desires" , then she introduces Vivian Morris, who's our narrator and the main character of this book. 

And Gilbert says: "My goal was to write a book that would go down like a champagne cocktail- light and bright, crisp and fun."


I absolutely adore Elizabeth much like Oprah Winfrey for everything she possesses and more.


To know her is to love her boldness, her clarity, her visions, her talent!

Here's a clip of what this new book is all about from the Atlantic: https://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...


City of Girls is set in a pre WWII (1890) Theatre district of NY in which young naive women embarked for fun, sex, and entertainment. The spread of venereal diseases and abortions in the 40's was on the rise in NY at that time.

Vivian is our stage actress/show girl/dancer who at 95 years old is recalling those times with direct and impulsive memories after she moved to NY with her Aunt Peg. She was John Wayne's girlfriend, she had many lovers, she spoke w/o regret towards the 5 abortions she procured. She never married nor had kids and once received a car from Milton Berle.


"I promise that I will try my best in these pages not to go on and on about how much better everything was back in my day. I always hated hearing old people yammering on like this when I was young. (Nobody cares! Nobody cares about your Golden Age, you blathering goat!) And I do want to assure you: I'm aware that many things were not better in the 1940s. Underarm deodorants, air-conditioning were woefully inadequate, for instance, so everybody stank like crazy, especially in the summer, and also we had Hitler."


In a larger much deeper picture it's more than just chasing a dream it's about chasing one's deepest sexual desires and not being afraid of your body or your mind. However, in chasing one's sexual promiscuity one must make advances that enhance growth and maturity for which this book seemed to miss.


"I was long and tall, that's all there was to it. And if it sounds like I'm about to tell you the story of an ugly duckling who goes to the city and finds out that she's pretty, after all-don't worry, that is not that story. I was always pretty, Angela. What's more, I always knew it."
One thing worth noting here is this is a two part story with the rich Vivian having her every desire fulfilled by servants in her early twenties while the second half sets up later in life roughly 15-20 yrs later and it's at this latter stage I exited stage right.


I enjoyed for the most part the 1st half but the second half didn't seem to jive for me and left me longing for more. The sexual prowess for me was a bit much considering I'm born and raised strict Catholic so all of the 'come n get it' flavor wasn't my cup of tea but I don't base books on my views but rather based on writing content, plot, setting, and the overall message in how it left me feeling.


As a feminist this hit many buttons in a negative way but you could say the same for the devotion to boldness, her desire to explore, her need to want more out of life as a 'go-getter.'


So all roads lead back to this notion: You either love it or hate it but either way I'm not sure Elizabeth will ever lose sleep over others reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment