Sunday, June 9, 2019

Book Review: "Leaving the Witness" By Amber Scorah

"A riveting memoir of losing faith and finding freedom while a covert missionary in one of the world's most restrictive countries."

"Everyone has a cross to bear."


I can't imagine 'dysfellowshipped' from the congregation for 'heavy petting.' 


Amber is the 3rd generation Jehovah Witness who as you can see has been involved in some risky behaviors at a young age and afterwards upon feeling trapped in a loveless marriage and turns to adultery as her go to plan.


Her 47 yo father died from alcohol so there's that to contend with along with the fact she met her spouse at age 21 as he was the opposite of Thomas the man she was involved with in the sexual experimentation stage mentioned above.


Thomas was disconnected and uninterested and so she longed for both excitement and love.


Preaching the bible was the name of the game but it felt more like a cult to some.


"But if you listen to me, you will not die."


Ok?! HMM well, if you're sure...


She develops a Chinese podcast as part of the solution to becoming more active, engaged, involved in her religion.


She meets and falls in love with Jonathan who wasn't so welcoming questioning her faith.
She eventually leaves her spouse to feel free after longing to belong and have friends.


While I enjoyed her writing style and use of words which shows her talent was up to par I wasn't quite fascinated with the set up here as I felt it was too much fluff in the front and middle areas.


I guess I just have left to note this,"You cannot outrun what has come before."


The final nail in the coffin was a heart breaker for any parent and I'm so sorry for her loss.
My final notes lead me here,"The only way to endure loss is to hold on to the love."

No comments:

Post a Comment