Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Book Review: "Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas" By James Patterson

Imagine this scenario: It's roughly 11 pm EST the night before I have to wake at 3am to volunteer for CMN (Children's Miracle Network Telethon).

I've worked as phone volunteer for as long as I can remember (many years) to give back to this particular children's hospital for saving my son's life with Vater Syndrome.


Earlier in the week I picked up two ARC copies of Patterson's and brought them home. When I began to inspect them I noticed both were in mint condition, 1st edition, ARC copies from 2001 and this one in particular had the original promo sheet inside from the publisher.
Talk about amazing!


Now for my review: This book had me in tears. I suppose it's because of more than one central idea but the notion that a man on or near his death bed would take the time to keep a diary is quite extraordinary.


To then find out Matt was married and his wife died of the same ailment which took the life of his newborn son is debilitating.


I'm sure many don't expect a romance from this thriller writer but this one hit the compassion, the empathy, the romance, the love just right!


Katie meanwhile thought he was having an affair when she uncovered 'The Diary'. She had no idea what she would uncover in his written words.


In fact they were on the verge of a break up if you will while he was juggling these 5 balls as they say in layman terms.


The ending is one you have to see to believe but it was magical!


Juggling is a fact of life. So too is love if you play your cards right.


Having witnessed newborns pass away on bedsides next to mine in the nicu for two months was something I'll never forget.


Watching my son struggle for life is something that every parent dreads but yet in the end it made us both stronger and my son our lil golden boy aka 'warrior' reminded me of Nicholas.


I can't imagine how James wrote this or where his mind was at when he wrote it but I stayed up till almost midnight to write this so I wouldn't forget because it was simply one of the best I've read from James Patterson.


Please do yourself a favor and read this one and don't focus so much on the writing but on the message. 


So many times people are hyper critical and want instant satisfaction.


We need to often stop and smell the roses and this is just one of those types of books.


I'm so glad I was able to pick up this book as I will treasure it for a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment