Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Book Review: "Blood Orange" By Harriet Tyce



Sweet and sour and everything nice!

My word, I must confess this book took me for such a whirl that I literally forgot to leave this review so bare with me as I try to recall from memory as it was simply that good.

It begins with an attorney who seems a wee bit lost in life and goes through the motions of her legal career without much fanfare until an affair with a co-worker and a top case put her on the map.

Now, I'm not recommending either of these two scenarios to boost a fledgling life but what I've read in some reviews really was bothersome.

It seems many don't feel women can be 'taken' or 'manipulated' by a man especially if they're smart or in this case 'abused' by a male counterpart.

I'm here to tell you I was abused by my spouse, I'm intelligent with a dual Masters, I have the same degree as my husband and in fact I have a dual degree with Criminal Justice (which is in the same field as psychology) and yes I was brainwashed, manipulated, and taken into believing my spouse 'loved me' and married me 'for love.'

Who wouldn't think their own spouse married for the same reasons, why take the oath, why go through with the vows, why do all that if not for love? Yet, not everyone is credible, nor believable, and the sad thing is when you tell your story in hindsight-you'll never be believed -as it's simply too unbelievable to bare the truths.

Now, I digress but please stop these myths as they are harmful to both sides of the argument especially if you know about the DSM manual, personality trait disorders, and live to tell about being actively engaged with a malignant narcissist.

Because of the Goldwater Rule -you cannot pass judgement w/o being seen and examined-however, if you don't think intelligent people can be blindsided than I beg of you to look at our current state of affairs in our very own UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

Ok, my rant is over but please do tell because many of us have been abused and this is relatable: 

I'll leave this reviewers opinions here:

"Alison, the protagonist is supposedly a smart barrister in London. Yet, she allows herself to be abused by her husband who calls her "skanky" and criticizes almost everything she does, including her cooking. And, just when one could sympathize/empathize with her for finding a lover, you discover he also abuses her, forcing her to have sex with him in a train bathroom where she has to get on her knees on a urine-soaked floor. Puleeeez!!!!!!

And, so yes, of course, she has an excuse to drink... heavily.

In the end, none of her problems are resolved through her own agency. The resolutions just happen -- luckily for her."

I'll note this: I pray I live to the day when victim blaming, shaming, and guilt trips can be tossed to the trash in which they belong.

Now, on with this show, because folks this was bloody brilliant in many ways. Strong characters, strong plot, strong twists and turns leads to one powerful piece.

That slice of orange is sweet but can also be sour and depending on your taste you're going to either love or hate this one.

I LOVED IT!


No comments:

Post a Comment