Sunday, November 22, 2020

Book Review: Truly, Madly, Deeply By Karen Kingsbury



Ladies and Gents:

You know that moment when you've waited since June 18th 2020 to read a new novel after the dreaded #Decline appears after your NetGalley Request.

Well, this is that book and as a Christian or shall I say the former (only female usher) at St. Ignatius Church in Kingston, Pa who was run out of town by male ushers in need of time to come around to this new line of thinking after serving as a minister of hospitality and usher for almost 2 yrs was quite interesting to endure, but this sealed the faith and belief that perhaps -just perhaps-that karma train will come to pass & life will once again be worth the hardships.

For now, we live in a world that excludes the impoverished, the working poor, the vets, the homeless, women, individuals due to their race or economic backgrounds and sadly as a ten year job seeker with a dual masters/20yrs volunteering/Points of Light Awardee - I must note that women are dealt a losing hand.

Imagine this hidden gem amongst those ashes. The Phoenix shall rise. Rise up and declare the love.

Well, sounds great on paper but let me tell you the Christian faith in hiding sexual abuse scandals, in ripping collection baskets from female ushers, in noting there's more of us than them is not my idea of faith any longer.

Now enough with the holy rollers but I will note this and I do not mean to come off as harsh but this is my life and I refuse to cherry coat as in terms of this novel it's a new insight, awareness, and acceptance of these facts and more I've just described.
Life isn't guaranteed. Health is not a right. Healthcare is not always provided.
A young man is seeking rebirth as a cop in his own right after being an individual known for helping others. 
Ironically, not all police operate under the motto -protect and serve- yes, I once called after being plowed in one winter in Pennsylvania with a med disabled newborn-only to be told we're sorry but I digress these are women issues and I don't wish to come across as whiny.

So here's the deal: Tommy loves Annalee and wants to one day marry and settle down but there's something larger than life that's pressing on his shoulders and forcing him to hold off and wait.

That decision haunts him to the point of nightmares but he knows he can see it through to the end and he prays that Annalee is right there alongside him after her health scare.
As we learn through his trials and tribulations this is as much about him as it is about Annalee. His family has secrets and they're about to be exposed relative to his grandfather and his own birth.

Good grief, we learn so much in such a small yet powerful read.

It's the ending that won me over with a speech worthy of a king and queen and a forever that hopefully will be blessed till the end of time.

A great new read that I wish I could've brought this review to you sooner but the book gods weren't in my favor this time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment