Monday, November 2, 2020

Book Review: "Empty Out The Negative" By Joel Osteen



 Have you ever heard the term easier said then done in relation to the constant bombardment of negativity daily?

This is what our new norms have become under these more regulated and politically correct ideals that have transformed our landscape into the land of the rich and famous v the poverty stricken unemployed or mentally or physically ill individuals who are not to be provided empathy or compassion.

We live in a world in which the new norm is to harass, alarm, annoy, and try to alter the rules to fit the minority not majority and sadly it takes a toll on those of us who live by the book using our own set of moral compass codes taught from an early age.

I cannot imagine a teacher not finding empathy upon a parent in the cancer center who can't fill out a Google form to not attend a parent teacher conference after she emails the teacher/principal numerous times to inform both she can't utilize Google forms in a hospital setting yet the forms were sent and requested they be filled out not once but twice even after explanation was provided in writing.

This is the new world in which false accusations fly before truth can be dispersed and it's excruciating for those of us who are on the receiving end.

Joel and Victoria have been my go to warriors when I'm in need of salvation but these last few months and years have been horrific upon those who are unemployed, parents raising families, elderly, vets, the mentally ill, disabled, those who are poverty stricken, and single parent households.

People just don't get it that we are not all the same and this pandemic has put a face to those who continue to struggle to stay afloat. The mom and pop stores and businesses continue to sink and fall further behind. The college students who don't know where or when their next meal will be. The single parents trying to make a living wage using non livable wages with stagnation and economic uncertainties.

I have as a child of God -given him all the praise and glory- and for the past ten years I've given it up to him to fight my battles as mentioned here.

I'm in extreme poverty, homeless after 2013 divorce, single mom x 3 teens all grads in 2021. I've had our fair share of the 'small town politics' to last an eternity.

In fact Joel -you may remember when I just posted a two year anniversary of The Night of Hope at Hershey Park Pa in which I waited for over 2 yrs in pouring rain just to get to see you tired, hungry, and just barely enough funds to scrape together a $15 ticket expense.

Yet, it was so liberating, invigorating, and special to be able to see you and your lovely family in person....

I live every day as it's my last because it may well be with HUS (fatal blood disorder) and severe spinal stenosis coupled with severe anemia, vertigo, and Raynaud's phenomenon with sinus tachycardia presenting at last ER visit.

I have a med disabled son since birth w vater syndrome for life who was mocked because he was the only child at high school w perfect 4 yrs attendance.

I have two daughters also mocked for being high honors so much so a recently hired male teacher tried to accuse my youngest of cheating with a 96 grade in his class and nearly 8 yrs of honors.

This is America today and it's sickening.

Yet, if my feet hit the floor I thank God because I know many aren't so lucky.
When we began this year my kids didn't know if in person schooling would even be a possibility much less athletics..

I'm happy to report after missing 2 weeks of practices, 3 more for an ankle sprain, my eldest daughter will be playing for District playoffs in volleyball tomorrow for the finals.
Folks, you are not your circumstances.

When I was a minister of hospitality I was the only female usher who was shown the door after having the collection basket ripped out of my hands for simply serving our Lord. I was told the male ushers needed time to come around to this line of thinking ironically I was offered the volunteer position by another female staffer & worked diligently for the past two years.

I tell you this because the victor never said we need you but knew the parishioners were thrilled to finally see a woman serving as usher.

Until the male ushers ganged up against me and said there's more of us than her and ripped the basket out of my hands.
This is our world.

I have tried for 10 yrs after spending 20 yrs volunteering and raising kids to get a paid living wage full time position with a dual masters.

As of today I've not been successful and in fact was told I'm seen as entitled because of asking after 20 yrs volunteering.

Can you imagine telling a woman who needs to put food on her table that she can't get food because she's not in the zoning area in which they serve? If someone came to your door hungry, alone, afraid, unemployed, with a family to feed would you close the door?
I ask this because as a person in extreme poverty I don't want a hand out but up.
When I send cold call emails I don't want sympathy but hopefully an ear to listen and help be the change we wish to see.

We've all been born with talents and we must all be allowed to shine but sadly that option is often stripped from those based on the color of their skin, the sexual gender, the education level, or the appearance of that person.

If God is for me who shall be against me?

I recently explained to my parents that my eldest daughter worked so hard to achieve and her recognition went ignored. When it came time for the awards she was never even glanced at yet she's on the leader board in the top position for both our conference and our league.
When my father asked why I wasn't upset I said because,"God has never steered me wrong."
I lead by faith, by example, and by hope.

I know God is good because he has kept me alive to this day...
Never let anyone tell you that it's not possible.

If they ignore you then by all means plant your own garden.
When I used to belly ache over my back being so bad it was highlighted in xrays as in need of attention for lung screenings I chuckled.

Sure my back is atrocious but I once held the hand of a woman who walked with a cane for five hours dragging both feet just to make it to church every Sunday.

You see we all have obstacles that will make or break and I have learned from Joel that you shall never allow them to make you bitter but better.

My brother lost his only daughter leaving her surviving brother as an only child in 2016 in Florida. When I mentioned it here at home that my niece was one of 4 that died that day her being the only child in a 7 car accident from a young man speeding on I4 (allegedly) the congregation went silent.

When I mentioned it at my children's basketball practice I was ignored and the parents asked when the next game was as if I didn't just mention my niece died.

This sadly is the new world we now find ourselves and while I still stand firm in faith I also wish we can pray for those who lack the empathetic, nurturing, loving, compassionate, and true feelings of what it means to be human.

God bless to all. Love one another. Be the light

Signed,
*Points Of Light Awardee #5666
 

No comments:

Post a Comment