Thursday, July 2, 2020

Book Review: "Good Guys" By David Smith


"As gender-in-the-workplace experts David G. Smith and W. Brad Johnson show in this important book, men have a crucial opportunity to promote gender equality at work. Research shows that when men are deliberately engaged in gender-inclusion programs, 96 percent of women in those organizations perceive real progress in gender equality, compared with only 30 percent of women in organizations without strong male engagement."

When we look at history it doesn't bode well for women because we are always fighting. Fighting for the right to vote, fighting for inclusion, equality, an end to injustices, nepotism in hiring, our place at the table to be heard and not silenced.

What we have today is no more better than years prior because we still find ourselves behind the 8-ball in terms of our rights to not only our own bodies but to our ability to establish a successful career and be taken seriously in light of the #MeToo movement and beyond.

Men have created a 'man's world' and it's not easy to break that glass ceiling when our voices, concerns, opinions are always disregarded as hearsay, as not credible, as not believable, or as only a 'stay at home mom' as I was once told.
In fact, the stories I could tell you from the past 20 years in raising kids, in giving up career for family, in trying to re-enter the workforce and being told to dummy down my resume as I'm overqualified yet lack prior work experience is just astounding.

Having sent an email (cold call) to the President of our local United Way was something I thought would be worthwhile after being long term unemployed in establishing a network and possible job opportunities.

Ironically during the much anticipated interview stage I was asked directly why I was unemployable. When I stated the gospel truth: Nepotism in hiring, corruption, croynism, and the idea that a job was held for a felon (white male) for his prison release rather than a single mom with 12 years educational experience with a dual masters he didn't seem comfortable.

He said I was too negative so I explained more thoroughly how I had jobs created exclusively for men already in that same workplace rather than hire out. Or how I had jobs put on hold for governor's hiring freeze. Or how I had jobs given to male interns rather than pay an older woman. Lately I've felt the wrath of hiring recent college grads rather than the more mature, well educated, older professionals with families to support often due to benefit packages.

I get it - this isn't what you want to hear- but this is a woman's reality - that doesn't fit the narrative a man wants to hear much less listen too and respond with compassion.

This is why I was happy to see you noted the empathy, compassion, and ability to listen as pre-requisites to assisting women.

The problem is men are scared women will take over their jobs if they give in and welcome with open arms a woman.

I've had it happen as the only female usher at a local Catholic church. I was volunteering for the past 2 years when suddenly the priest came over prior to start of church and told me my services weren't needed. 
This priest then gave in by noting he'd discuss after mass only to have other male ushers rush me, take away my collection basket, and tell me there's more of them than me.

So, this happened immediately prior to mass, in the back of the church, in full view of everyone in the church at that time, with only one man coming to my aid and apologizing for men everywhere.

The priest never contacted as promised via phone but when I contacted he told me the men needed time to come around to this new line of thinking...and they merrily acted as only good Christians can by putting on a new mask of allure and acting as if this was the new norm.

I was scared, I was panicked, I was all alone and yet nobody seen or heard my pleas.

Silencing, blaming, shaming, threatening is how as a woman I spent the latter 40 plus years.

Offering help, not gaslighting, validating concerns, being encouraging and sharing the inclusion platform is something I've never seen done.
Most men are in this 'dog eat dog' world of me first and women are seen as nothing more than a slab of meat to be used and abused and sadly this has to change.

"Mothers comprise 41% of the sole or primary breadwinners in society. For dual -earner married couples with children where mom is primary breadwinner the combined family income is on average higher than all other earner combinations."

When I was divorcing I wasn't paid my worth for giving up my career to have my husband further his-otherwise known as 'earning potential' instead I was told I'm just a stay at home mom.

When I went for employment I was told to dummy down my resume and was told I came across as entitled because 20 years after volunteering (Points of Light Awardee via President George H.W. Bush- 41st President -2016) I was seeking employment that paid a living wage.

Can you imagine this?

Can you imagine as men that you're wife, daughter, sister, girlfriend wants to simply serve her Lord and the church by being a female usher and having a collection basket ripped from their hands as if she's a thief simply for being a woman -this after serving for past 2 years- only to be told the men need time to come around to this new line of thinking?

A new line of thinking in acceptance of women? In working alongside a woman?
In allowing women the same opportunities rather than treating them as a minority in a man's world?

Feminism is my way of fighting injustices and I pray one day that all women can be supported, thanked, and accepted for who and what they are rather than be mocked, scoffed, humiliated, shamed, blamed, or threatened into silence.
Perhaps we shall all move into the 21st century with dignity, class, and love.

Perhaps....

Thank you to David, the pub, NetGalley, and Amazon Kindle for this ARC in exchange for this honest review.


No comments:

Post a Comment