Saturday, July 25, 2020

Book Review: "Our Time Is Now" By Stacy Abrams

The biggest problem with political, historical, autobiographical works is in the timing.

For me this was one of those redundant speeches that Democrats keep providing but nothing ever seems to get done.


The issues such as voter suppression, voting and civic engagement, the history of democracy, and our current political climate is something we all should understand.
The problem isn't not knowing the problem exist- it's the enforcement-of equality, fairness, having our voices heard.


People are turning away in droves be it swing voters, be it due to gerrymandering, be it to rigged results -because they are discouraged, distraught, and tired of the empty political candidates promises.


As they say from my area, Pay these politicians the wages of the poor, the working poor, the disenfranchised and you'll see how quick they pony up.


The Census counting, the accessibility to locations, the racial hardships, etc needs to be addressed but so too does silencing the majority. The Electoral votes is a mess.
We cannot have a democracy run by tyrants, dictators, and the upper wealthy top 1% of society.


This is not justice for all. This is not a democracy. This is a take it or leave our country approach.


What bothers me is we currently have an impeached president in office who couldn't care less about his own American Citizens much less immigrants or allies.


Yes, we get the white men have it set up to win -win at all costs-and it's disgusting and vile.
We can vote. We can get our voices heard. However, when those provisional ballots aren't being counted we have a whole other bag of worms.


I'm a registered Democrat. In my area of Luzerne County Pennsylvania we don't have a local campaign office set up, people are online using outdated sites, we have no current events planned due to Corona. The Republicans not only have all of this -they are going out in droves- signing up those unlisted or first time voters, they are handing out yard signs, and sending out emails to current events daily.


Phone banks are not being utilized. We haven't taken advantage of social media to connect with the younger generation of voters. How the heck is this winning when they are afraid to step up to the plate.


I get it! I married and happily divorced after 11 yrs a malignant narcissist. I know all about retaliation, threats, intimidation, mob rule, false accusations, smear campaigns etc...
If we don't get off this wo-wis-me syndrome and start showing up, leading with gusto, igniting our base, using our talents, and getting the word out -we will have a repeat performance.


We can't do what we did prior. We can't utilize polls to believe we are in the lead.
We must continue to strengthen the foundation. Build up the trust. Unite our people. We are one United States. We have to fight fire with fire.


DT has ads running all the time. The defunding ad I can restate ad nauseam.
What I've witnessed is weakness. Insecurity. Lack of centralized efforts.
I've seen it before and it's on replay.


We can't just preach,"get out and vote."


We have to give all voters a reason to do such!


When DT and Clinton ran together it was like choosing the lesser of two evils.


I feel worse this year because now it's our health, our constitutional rights, our democracy, our freedoms, our lives that are literally hanging in the balance.


We have people going online asking questions directly to our parties without responses. We have zero effort being expelled to excite anyone to get out and do their part.
Simply saying it won't make it happen.


We need a reason to get energized.


If you've never attended a DT campaign I urge you to do so. Sure he's got the mentality of a rock but he gets his audience pumped. He addresses their concerns. He excites them beyond end.


We need that and we need it now!


As a single mom of three who was left divorced, bankrupt, homeless, lt unemployed, without income assets nor credit -you can't simply say vote.


We have no jobs. No living wages. No unemployment. No quality healthcare.


Sadly we are losing hope. We are feeling anxious. We need to understand what's being shown in stats isn't reality.


Go to the streets in the hardest hit areas. Heck come to Wilkes Barre Pa ranked 9th out of 10 worst places to live in Pennsylvania and see the drugs, the crime, the depression, the anger.


This is not the America I grew up in. This America is rigged. Only the lucky with underlying connections, support, networks, and wealth will survive.


I have a dual MPA, Points of Light Awardee, 20 yr volunteer, currently top 32 USA reviewer of all time here along with numerous other accolades and for ten years I spent it -begging- for employment, attending job fairs, networking, and passing out business cards with cold call emails going out to strangers daily.


I gave up my career to raise my three kids and haven't been able to re-enter. I lost my earning potential and assumed with a Masters that I was paying almost $300 per month even while homeless would get me at least an interview. WRONG!


The good old 'big boys network', cronyism, nepotism, and pay to play is still rampant.
We have got to do better! We have to do more than just drain the swamp.


We need vision. We need hope. We need courage. We need support. We need to be seen and heard.


The denial, the blame, the shame, the get a job -isn't my reality.


The dilapidated housing, the empty store fronts, the drug peddlers on every corner, the forgotten vets, the ignored citizens, the ill treated elderly that's my reality.


Step up to the front line. Volunteer at the soup kitchen or food banks. Take a tour to the most extreme poverty stricken areas in which like I've witnessed here having elderly women taking food out of trash cans in local parks and playgrounds to eat for the day.


When I worked as a teen to put myself into college -I was paid $7.25 hr for being top producer in two departments as a merchandise handler. Fast forward ,same job, same pay, zero benefits and I'm now 47 with three kids -fresh from divorcing with marital debt, bankruptcy, student loans, med debt from pregnancies w/o insurance. I worked my arse off to the point I had to have surgery for ganglion cyst, I have severe spinal stenosis, and I was paid $25 one time bonus for doing hard labor with a ten cent raise with no room for advancement.


Please tell us how neighboring states pay more in minimum wage but have higher costs of living. There's not a state in this country that you can get a two bedroom home on minimum wage.


I have a Masters and was told to dummy down my resume. To limit myself and not branch out in to many directions of interest.


I see college grads being hired left and right here but the older workers with experience are being ignored.


We can't maintain this and we can't hang on much longer.


Change is not only needed it's the only life line we have left.

No comments:

Post a Comment