Sunday, January 26, 2020

Book Review: "The Heirloom Garden" By Viola Shipman

.."The simplest things in life – family, friends, faith, fun, love, and a passion for what you do – are truly the grandest gifts. My fiction is meant to honor the elders in our lives whose sacrifices and journeys helped make us who we are today. I couldn’t be prouder of my novels, which I hope reconnect you to your own family’s stories, heirlooms, histories and traditions." Wade -Pen Name Viola Shipman

Absolutely adore this back to basics read in which we honor those long ago memories we all hold so near and dear to our hearts.
The 'stop and smell the roses' feel in which if you're like me you still have that 'thorny' but oh so fragrant red rose bush in your own garden; with a scent so strong it reminds you of the older ladies in their Sunday 'best' attire.

The Heirloom Garden takes us into the lives of two women, separated by a generation scarred by war, who find friendship among the pain.

"You have to live in the moment."
"You may break, you may shatter the vase, if you will, But the scent of the roses will hang round it still." - Thomas Moore

When Iris's husband passed from war she lost more than just memories she lost her soul mate.
When Abby uncovered her husband's PTSD from war she nearly lost the man she loved and admired.
Together these neighbors and renters learned to lean upon one another for comfort and love.
Rather than ask why me they often found themselves seeking value in the smallest things.
Lilacs meant breathe.

Roses meant beauty is all around even among the thorns.

While hybrid versions may exists there's nothing like those thorns that catch, snag, and hurt like heck but carry so many glorious memories and such perfect beautifully fragrant buds annually.

The warmth, the compassion, the empathy, the soul is in the words of every piece of writing here.
What a glorious, lovely, adored piece that will be cherished for years to come.

In fact, just days prior to reading this I was constantly bombarded by the strong scent of roses with no idea why as I have none in my home. The smell so strong they reminded me of my grandmother's red thorny roses that bloom every spring/summer on the side of my home.

After googling I learned about being blessed by the Virgin Mary, or perhaps a loss was inevitable, or just god's way of showing you are loved.

Upon speaking with my elderly parents I learned a close family member had past on my father's side.
I suppose you can say life is short and to take the time to enjoy it ...

Much love for Wade aka Viola because it's always such a blessing to be able to secure an early read.
Thank you for this honor in providing a review in exchange for an ARC.

A must read for 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment