Sunday, February 23, 2020

Book Review: "The Best Friend" By Adam Mitzner

First and foremost I must note that this is my first novel from this author under the Broden Legal Series.

With this said, I gravitated towards this ARC as a Criminal Justice Master as well as having interned as an undergrad with the Public Defender's Office. I was always told to become a prosecutor but funds weren't there so my dream subsided and then marriage and kids and you know the rest.

I honestly couldn't let this one pass me by without at least trying it and with that I must say,"Thank You" to NetGalley, Adam, and his publisher.

This began in a ball of fury as we learn that Clint (NY Defense Attorney) has a close friend whose been charged with murdering his bride.

We forward thirty years and he's again being charged with another crime and Nick has to wonder if lighting strikes twice.
This friendship is being tested by all avenues using all sorts of pressure.

The nature of the beast is more than just the crime as we uncover a host of other underlying issues here including harassment.

What lengths will an attorney go for his client?

Would a defense lawyer choose to lay his job on the line to defend a killer if he even had a suspicion of guilt?
It's something I'd love to ask Alan Dershowitz but that's a whole other topic and way too political dealing with constitutional and criminal law.

What I enjoyed here was the legal maneuvers, the criminal aspects, the criminality and the defense aspect.

I'll never forget having to memorize the crimes code for my state and this reminds me of those bygone days.

I say this because some take cases for the love of money while others do so for the prestige and still others because they love that challenge.

This is one of those situations in which you have all three of the above but also morals, values, friendships, forgiveness, empathy, and love all factoring in to that equation.

That ending was just fantastic and what a way to end!!

A great new read that I highly recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment