Sunday, September 6, 2020

Book Review: "Don't Turn Around" By Jessica Barry



Have you ever read a book that you were so inclined to review that it became your central focus?

This is that book, as this was like the Bonnie and Clyde of my day with two women-strangers-with paths of hardships for which they remained steadfast and true to each other's purpose and faith.

Now, it's funny you mentioned faith because that's part of what drives these women but so too is persistence, determination, will power, and love.

Love, in a different form because it's love of not oneself but of others. Of a child yet born for which has no voice but for which her story must be told and never forgotten.
A love for country and it's system of justice that won't tip the scales in an unfair advantage to the majority rather than the minority.
Love not for what is known but the unknown as medicine, health, and survival is all based on relativity and in some cases religion.

Your beliefs on the topic of abortion is your right but for women's rights we hold our bodies to the highest standards and that too is a right not to be handed off to government or high powered political offices, or even high powered men in authority or in justice.

As a women who had a med disabled son born with a skeletal abnormality such as vater syndrome and being told my baby could be born with down syndrome -my world was crushed. To say the least as a new mom I was nervous, anxious, and in unfamiliar territory doing so as an unwed mom without a job, a home, or even a life as my career hadn't yet started with graduation that May in obtaining my Masters degree.
By the way, the doctors were wrong! My son wasn't born with down syndrome but with vater syndrome with mostly internal issues.

What I can tell you is faith, love, and hope can take you far and believing that God brought you there and will walk through the fire with you was something that gave me hope. "If God is for me who could be against me" was a common train of thought.

Those triple scan blood test didn't control or rule my life only myself and my faith in God did and so I went full steam ahead and took what God gave me. My son will be turning 20 this November and it was the greatest, toughest, hardest decision I've ever made in supporting life that may be altered significantly but I'm so blessed I made the right choice.

I'm not a fan of the world we find today. I believe woman's rights are being violated. I believe men control too much power and as a feminist it's all about power and control over women especially with what's now common place with white nationalism.

We have to remain steadfast but fight for our rights and our power.

I'm so glad this book touched on several of these topics related to women's rights and I'm so appreciative to have found this book at my local library available for take-out.

This book will change your life in ways you may not have expected.

A great read by Jessica Barry that comes highly recommended with strong female roles as heroines in their own right.

I loved the adventure, the travelling journey to Texas, the justice that was served, and the faith in not only their beliefs but in one another. To hold hands and unite as one-there's nothing better!

A must read for 2020!

No comments:

Post a Comment