Sunday, September 20, 2020

Book Review: His Truth is Marching On By Jon Meacham



"Change in America most often comes when the powerless attract the attention of the powerful."

Lewis was not only only a living monument he was a man of true wit, determination, and will to be the change he wished to see not just for himself but all of humanity.

He carved his own path, he showed the nation how to ignore hatred and stay motivated, he chose success on his own terms using his own means.

In spite of everything he endured from beatings, burnings, and pure evil bombings he not only survived but thrived.
He was the light in the dark for others to follow. He became a beacon of hope. He found a way to make everyone believe.

"Sometimes I'll dream of a march, of moving forward, of light and warmth and happiness. And then I'll wake up and think, 'Oh, that was just a dream.' But you have to believe that it can be real, that it can be more than a dream."

When justice was denied Mr. Lewis found a way to keep the dream alive.

That war for good, for peace, for dignity, for salvation is real and continues on because of his contributions.

We must now choose between community and chaos, between hatred and love, between division and acceptance.
Speak up. Speak out. Never be silenced.

The Civil Rights Movement was regarded as the most influential movement of its time during the 21st Century but it's not the end.

There's much more work to be done.

The Alabama accent was noticeable but he wasn't demanding. When his father found out about his actions he simply noted that was his son John and supported his decisions.

Yet, read these words and feel the power behind them but not just the power but the idea that we are all created equal as one human race and so I quote,"Altogether, it was a moving feeling within me that I was sitting there demanding a God-given right, and my soul became satisfied that I was right in what I was doing," he says. "At the same time, there was something deep down within me, moving me, that I could go no longer be satisfied or go along with an evil system-that I had to be maladjusted to it and in spite of all of this I had to keep loving the people who denied me service, who stared at me."

If that doesn't move you to get in 'Good Trouble' I'm not sure what will.

We are in this together.

No comments:

Post a Comment