Sunday, September 13, 2020

Book Review: "Total Propaganda" By Helen Frazer


 

"Millennials have it bad. In 2017, they face the problems of underemployment, unaffordable housing and economists who write crap columns telling them that it's their fault for taking an Uber to brunch."

However, I would dare to say this extends to previous GEN X groups too as I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. For one I'm a single mom x 3 teens, bankrupt, extreme poverty, left homeless after divorcing 2013, LT unemployed having traded in career for homemaking x20yrs with med disabled son (vater syndrome) requiring at home health care even till today, and add to this a recession, high unemployment, unaffordable housing, and more.

I've been told with my dual masters that I'm just not trying hard enough, pull myself up by the bootstraps, she's lazy, or my favorite she just doesn't want to work and wants to sponge off others.

I've applied to so many jobs since my separation in 2010 that I've lost count with each job going to the recent college grad who doesn't have families to support nor in the same financial distress.

The notion that you simply apply for a job and like magic are hired after not working for 20 yrs is like asking for a tranquilizer dart and getting one shoved up your arse.

I've renewed resumes, performed cold calls, participated in job fairs, networking events, handed out biz cards, utilized job referrals, increased social media outlets including LinkedIn, applied online sites and used every job board ever created.

I've found jobs in my area (northeastern PA) are hand me downs left for those who donate to political campaigns, those with power, those with connections. For instance when I was on a cold call interview the United Way president asked why I couldn't get hired. When I told him the truth he said I came across as entitled. Entitled? Why yes, because in his mind I'm a 20 yr volunteer and when I mentioned that to fill in the years lost for wage earnings; he felt I was owed employment due to all this time volunteering. I was floored as I simply want to work. When he proceeded to ask for examples I told him about nepotism, corruption, and holding jobs for friends with criminal records, internal hires even though external postings, and more.

I explained I applied to a job and it was given to a felon. I applied to a job that was put on hold for governors hiring freeze. Another job just recently was lost due to economic uncertainties due to covid pandemic. Another job was given to my boss-while his volunteers at Pocono Raceway- continued to beg for paid positions.

When I hear about poverty, welfare queens, baby momma's, uneducated, etc...I hear me. I'm not your typical poverty ideal. I'm the new face of poverty.

Until I read this book I thought I was living in an alternate reality.

The older folks kept telling me to get a job, those my age know the hardships and would say,"Something will turn up" while everyone else said stop sponging off the government or the family.

The 'Gig Economy' as the author notes is our reality and it's not just millenials. I'm told there's plenty of jobs but not enough workers, or skilled workers, or those willing to work. ARE YOU F-N kidding me?

My brother is IVY LEAGUE and went to California in hopes of that great American Dream. When he arrived he became that UBER driver, that dog walker, that 42 yo guy with 100k student debt.

I have a dual masters, 20 yrs volunteering, awarded the POINTS OF LIGHT from our 41st President George H. Walker Bush yet I'm earning more below poverty  than I would working- $6 more ...WHY?

We are not afraid to work in fact I worked two jobs to put self through college. I was a material handler and gift wrapper. I was top producer in two departments and associate of the month.

This work to death philosophy is for the birds. We cannot maintain a robotic stance.

I'm now suffering from that work I performed in my teens. I have multiple health issues including severe spinal stenosis with severe anemia and fatal blood disorder. I'm also suffering from Raynaud's sydrome and had a ganglion cyst removed on right wrist due to repetitive movement for that $7.25hr job with 10 cent raise and one time bonus for associate of the month of $25 award. This factory work position contributed in my opinion to my asthma, copd (non smoker), chronic bronchitis, & 20 yrs pneumonia from exposure to diesel fumes in the loading dock. It also led to an awareness of being a number in the game when I was hit over the head from 2nd floor with a 50 lb trolley (transports clothes) and was never called an ambulance as I lie on the floor with head trauma bleeding. The company didn't assist nor care and so I left for what was never to be greener pastures.

This company also knew the tricks of the trade in terms of not providing full time hours to prevent full time benefits, not providing breaks when needed, having us stand all 8 hrs, etc. 

Much like the Amazon/Walmart Distribution Centers it's nothing more than a death trap in which you work to death and are replaced by the next one enticed by lies of a better life.

Is this a third world economy or is this America the land of pull em up by the bootstraps and get out there working multiple jobs and who cares who raises our kids or tends to their med needs?

My son by the way who was born with this medical disability including skeletal abnormalities since birth was removed from social security at 18 even though he still suffers to this day and was put back on his stomach acid meds. 

While I want my kids to support themselves how can I be optimistic when I can't get employed with a MASTERS?

What do we tell our next generation -our kids- our loved ones who seek higher education in exchange for years of debt?

This Marxist and or feminist book is exactly what I'm experiencing today and I'm now 47 years of age.

I've witnessed the 'hooray with me the hell with you' attitude in this 'dog eat dog world.'

I couldn't agree more with this author and I wish to GOD I could meet her to give her a hug because I've been arguing these facts for years and it falls upon deaf, dumb, and ignorant ears.

In fact I've noted that we should be using U6 not U3 numbers in terms of unemployment for accuracy but that too went ignored.

Here in my hometown we have dilapidated buildings, high unemployment, plenty of below poverty jobs, but nothing to support families or those with mounting debts.

We can't keep pulling the wool over the eyes by claiming its all there for the taking when the platter has been wiped bare.

There's no jobs that pay living wages, there's no housing anywhere in the US in which we can afford to live on one job salary, there's nothing available for those who want to work but are now told like me that they are either over qualified with a higher ed or under qualified and lack experience working.

We don't care about lost wages nor are we compensated as parents and good luck in re-entry is all we got!

I now find myself at a crossroads in which I have three kids graduating schools (college, high, and elementary) this coming year in 2021. I'm a single mom struggling to simply survive while still seeking entry level employment that pays less than what I receive in extreme poverty.

I have a son who'll be earning an associates degree from a local community college with no jobs available to pay for the debt incurred.

What now?

Empty promises, broken dreams, and more of the same as the cycle repeats with drugs, pandemics, climate changes out of control.

The generation x's like myself are the forgotten ones. Many of us are taking early retirement and getting out yet many of us haven't even begun to enter the rat race.

What Now?

My word, I feel for all those struggling in today's BS world of the top 1% make out great and the middle class and lower are screwed.

There's nothing out there and can assure you I see nothing in the future unless someone admits to the current state of affairs for all of us not just the millenials as I don't feel this is a millenial issue having known many older and younger in the same boat.

We can only vote, hope, and pray for something better before we lose everything we have left which isn't much.

Stagnant wages, shrinking job market, unaffordable housing, and a 'follow your dreams' logo is what we're left with so just 'deal with it.'

This is what we're told and this is why we must VOTE!

No comments:

Post a Comment