Saturday, April 17, 2021

Book Review: "Inside The Tornado" By Alexander Lowe



The only reason I deducted one point is because of the nature of this book.

I survived an EF2 Tornado twice. Once in 2018 just two miles from my home in which me and my three kids huddle in my basement. https://www.timesleader.com/news/7079...
A second time when my mother and myself happened to be at a movie theatre up in Moosic Pennsylvania and had a tornado approaching in that location. We swiftly exited the building and headed home only to learn the tornado had just rolled through the area in which we travelled to get home leaving a trail of destruction along Susquon Road in Dupont Pennsylvania (Pittston Township). This occurred in 2017 the year prior. 

Ironically nothing was touched upon arrival home and my father was at a clam bake without knowledge that just a few miles down a tornado had wreaked havoc. https://www.pahomepage.com/news/pitts...
This gave new meaning to, "Drive it like you stole it." as my dad is a retired UPS driver for the brown trucks. He used to tell us that you can often drive out of a tornado or storm if you continue along your path. We did and luckily his advice saved us. The link I provided is the actual road we drove home on and was later shut down minutes after we rolled through.

I lived on those mountains for 18 years and never have I seen anything like this and pray we never do again.

So, back to my reasoning for a lesser rating. Tornado's are no joke. They are not to be seen as fun times. They are dangerous and deadly. In this case we have a mother who is travelling with her children as storm chasers in Oklahoma. She's a writer and discusses Tornado Alley with apparently up close visuals.
Not quite the smartest tool in the shed.

Could she not have used a computer tutorial, read a book, discussed other 'safer' options to create a learning environment rather than this hands on experience risking all their lives?
Just seemed out of place and character when safety should be paramount.

Other than that, the writing was good, the advice was self satisfactory, and the illustrations were in comic format that were easy to see (for those of us in our later years).

Thank you to Alexander Lowe, the pub, NetGalley, and Amazon Kindle for this ARC in exchange for this honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment