Saturday, April 10, 2021

Book Review: "Someone To Watch Over Me" By Ace Atkins



Tedious dialogue. Characters without back stories. Plenty of boobs, sex, risky behaviors, suicide and other triggering events.

Spencer supposedly served in the Korean war according to this series yet he gets around without a hitch. His age seemingly not a deterrent to chasing people down, fist fighting, and whatever else comes his way.

I honestly, couldn't connect with these characters or the quick jolts of sentences which seemed very similar to James Patterson's books.

In retrospect, the material also reminded me of James Patterson in that we bounce from one train of thought to another and toss in some fluff, some choice words, add sex scenes, or attractive individuals to capture the reader's attention and bam! There ya go!
It's not my thing and it's not what I had hoped in a thriller that was taken over by Atkins in memory of Robert B. Parker.

So, I'll leave readers with a few of the quotes from this one to seal my deal. "That's probably what he shouts when he climaxes." Referencing the previous sentence to law and order.
Or try this one," Boobs aren't my thing." --said Farrell.

Well, they aren't mine either and I was blessed with them.

Thanks but I'll pass on these from now since I'm new to this series and these don't work well as stand alone novels.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment