Sunday, March 21, 2021

Book Review: "The Affair" By Danielle Steel



First off this book title surely describes this book in full detail.

This is all about the AFFAIR and the divorce after he's caught with a 22 yo who doesn't care to have her cake and eat it too.

Sloppy seconds isn't the prize for this young lady but as Danielle noted it's the reason why many don't have kids because they'd rather have a failed relationship and move on without being tied down with the child rearing and that god awful words: RESPONSIBILITY , LIFETIME COMMITMENT, to your BED PARTNER FOR LIFE.

This is Danielle Steel we're talking about here and her work is very timely, relatable, and precisely accurate.

Here I stand having been married myself once for 11 years, happily divorced, and after his multiple affairs and sex-capades, have now been better for it.

It's a live and learn but girl friend you couldn't give it back to me if you wrapped it up and put a bow on its most prized possession -the valuables.

You get the idea and the fact that this is about forgiveness and compromise stretches the idea beyond the norm especially if abuse and narcissism wasn't part of the overall picture.

However, there's always that feeling that you've known somebody for so long and have built a strong foundation with kids and all so I can see how it's possible. In fact, my neighbors re-married after divorcing because of financial and health reasons for coverage because the wife had kidney failure and the husband has COPD and neither is in good health in their late 70's with adult children.

It does happen folks and for reasons many wouldn't expect so to call these characters names for doing such or calling out the author because she addresses what many have to endure isn't quite polite or appropriate.

I know many told me when I divorced that I should've known like shiite- did I purchase the magic 8 ball or should I have invested in additional psychic powers...WTH! Or the better of these- I deserved the abuse. If I stayed I was the biggest dummy.

So, the moral of this story -sometimes societal views don't change but the myths continue to evolve year after year.

Until you've lived the life of hard knocks many wouldn't understand it and I'm not saying I'd ever go back to what once was but it sure has been nice to be cordial and appreciate what each brings to the table.

No leftovers but good old fashioned fun here and THE AFFAIR brought it all back to reality with some well written characters and equally riveting plot in which old is new again.

No comments:

Post a Comment