Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Book Review: "Nervous Energy" By Dr. Chloe Carmichael



 Dr. Chloe has created a thoughtful and instructive self-help book that showcases a reader how to handle nervous energy in a more constructive and concrete format through various mind techniques.

It's a fab book that addresses destressing, time management, creative boundaries, and reform to be able to not just be successful but to do so with less stressors and more peaceful moments of clarity.

One of the things I enjoyed most in this reading was her use of concrete and simplistic approaches to mindfulness as well as behavioral modifications. The idea that one can manage both probably never crossed the pathway because many of us are simply too busy to think of self indulgences or taking time for ourselves.

We must in these trying times find ways to operate in a civilized state by using visuals, mapping out our thoughts, writing down our beliefs, and adjusting ourselves accordingly once we see the overall totality of the circumstances.

Now, you might think that finding a true fit in this arena is easy but in fact it can be complex and tedious so make sure you search around for a good fit if therapy is what you feel might help.

Using the techniques provided will help those suffering from Nervous Energy aka High Functioning as it was called to be in this novel. 
For me I classify it as: High Energy. In today's day and age we must watch out and monitor ourselves and be our own best judge of character.

Listening to anxiety not squandering it will be the key to freedom. Deep breathing using proper diaphragm breathing from the belly and through the nose is essential. Understanding that everything will be ok if you stay focused and mindful while debriefing using anchoring statements as coping techniques can be crucial to calming and weathering the storms.
A mental shortlist is also a wonderful new approach to being grounded and more alert of one's emotions and fragility.

The only thing I would note is in the suggestion box: When you state to destress by going out to eat, vacationing, or similar avenues it's not a goal many of us can achieve in extreme poverty. Noting Jack's situation and other's like him was wonderful to help showcase the real life situations and how they achieved in escaping the fight or flight responses especially for those of us who share in anxiety, panic attacks, and yes, even sinus tachycardia.

I've never been able to breath properly (don't laugh but even the PT tried to help me using the Ball on the Belly technique). I'm also the candidate for the ADD club and I'm sure OCD (though never diagnosed) along with the perfectionist of the year award. I've been high energy ever since I was born having two narcissistic parents and then marrying and happily divorcing the same after learning he was a malignant narcissist. I've been the scapegoat of the family, the crazy one, the delusional one, the ghosted one, the blame and shame one for 47 years (soon to be 48).

Trust me when I tell you anxiety/panic attacks from stress is real: the teeth grinding (lock jaw), the hair loss in clumps, the facial break outs, the nervous ticks like eye twitches, the shaky hands, the the racing heart beat, the phone book size medical problems of the past 20 yrs of misdiagnosed illnesses including: HUS, severe spinal stenosis, vertigo, asthma, microcytic hypochromic anemia, C.O.P.D. (nonsmoker), chronic bronchitis (after 20 yrs. I asked it be changed from acute), the 20 yrs pneumonia, allergies, pre-diabetes, the January edition of influenza A, the Raynaud's syndrome w no blood flow left thumb, throat nodule (benign), the issues related to having an unfaithful spouse in which he brought home health issues to me, and on and on...

Yes, stress is awful and marrying a malignant narc who exposes you to every form of abuse from financial, sexual, religious, emotional, verbal, and psychological does take its toll.
The idea is to be able to channel this energy productively. It can be done w/o sugar highs (never give a high energy person a Snicker's bar)...OH, Lord - No!

As a side note: I'm often misconstrued, misdiagnosed, misinterpreted especially towards strangers. I talk fast, if I must mention medical issues from the past thirty years they don't all fit in a nice and neat package, I have been operating solo since 17 yrs of age raising three kids solo, and giving up a full time career and Masters to do such. I've been a high functioning individual all my life and I learned from the best - my parents.

They're both high energy, never able to sit still, and always on the go. We are a handful to deal with as we all speak loud (pop's hard of hearing -Navy jets on board) and we've told a five minute story using an hour's worth of time.

Sometimes I wonder how much is genetic and how much is learned behaviors especially from kids who feel their true voices never mattered and were never heard (only girl here with three brothers as middle child).

As I get older I'm trying to refrain from speaking as much because everything I say anymore is taken out of context and formed into a negative to those on the receiving end. I've stayed home more, and have learned that you can't control what's out of your control.

When the author mentions these techniques it comes down to one thing in the end as Jack noted," I made the best choices under the circumstances."

We're all different and we all must embrace those differences not find a way to silence them.
In discussing your own personal situations as was demonstrated here you learn that sharing is caring and it's helpful to those who dealt with similar sets of circumstances.

I council others in dealing with malignant narcissism and domestic violence as a survivor of both myself and I know how difficult it is to love oneself. We have to go back to that method of loving oneself before loving another.

Co-dependency is often seen today and we must find a way to self individualize and stand out amongst the crowd.

Don't go along to simply get along but forge your own path and be the leader.

I admire this author for doing just that in her writings and her career as a strong female heroine in order to help others heal. It's commendable and appreciated as she speaks from empathy, compassion, and love without the harpy chatter you often see today in therapy sessions.

Most importantly I rely on one statement to help calm my nerves: When God is for you -Who can be against you. It's always worked in terms of the enemies while keeping me focused on the job ahead.

I hope this review helps others to pick up this book and read it while valuing the notions set forth above.

Thank you to Chloe Carmichael, the pub -St. Martin's Press, NetGalley, and Amazon Kindle for this ARC in exchange for this honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment