Sunday, March 14, 2021

Book Review: "The Night Always Comes" By Willy Vlautin

 


For some reading this book it might play out as a shocker but for those living in extreme poverty like myself it's a matter of survival.

To get out of poverty you must sell your soul to the devil and it's one reason why many of us haven't gone to that extent-the criminal/dark/depressed/desperate side.

Lynette knows this may be her only way-to put up or shut up-to hit up Johns, to give out free drinks at the bar where she works, to provide sex for money.

Non of the above will get you out of the predicament because the system is geared for the wealthy not the poor. The author notes several references to the broken health care system, voting rights, and politicians whose sole purpose is to get re-elected not caring about the constituents they serve.

What becomes of the homeless in Portland? Why aren't they seeking a better way- a job?

Well, that's easy to explain having lived it myself with a dual masters and over 20 yrs. of volunteering behind me. It's as Lynette notes, “No one wants to hire a worn-out, middle-aged fatso.” Surely, not one that is trying to help tend to her families needs including a brother on disability. We can't earn enough on below poverty wages to get out of poverty and since we do receive medical, dental, vision, housing, food stamps (ebt), financial aid for school, etc... how can we escape it to hold ourselves to a higher standard when we can't get enough income under ourselves to raise ourselves out?

People think higher education is the key. I'm here as your example it is not! I have a dual masters with all the accolades (honor societies, dean's lists, honor's lists, etc.) yet, I can't get hired for past 10 years. You would think it's something I'm not doing right? It's because the world is set to hire the young and able bodied who are willing to work for free, w/o benefits, and w/o the need to support themselves as many are still residing at home.

These employers know that we'll ask to be paid what we're worth especially when we're left with debt from student loans, divorces, medical costs, etc.

Yes, I too had 30k in medical debt and was bombarded by collection agencies to pay up after I put everything I could afford per month (1k) on credit cards. It wasn't enough as the greed and corruption of these monopolies rides above the empathy, compassion, and concern for human beings. I settled with the collection agency to pay (1oo a month) which was what I could afford out of pocket monthly rather than give them 1k a month on credit and they accepted. Now, you tell me does this make sense to you?

The world we live in today is a much different world than what our parents or grandparents were subjected too. It's a cut throat -dog-eat-dog world in which to get ahead you must be equally as greedy, ruthless, and heartless with narcissistic tendencies and toxic behaviors.
I for one refused to sell my soul to the devil. I refused to listen to the nay-sayers who said go out and get a job. I refused to live a life of crime or destruction in order to appease the masses.

Say what you will but you can't please them all.

It's sad when poverty pays more than working. The working poor are simply working themselves to death with multiple jobs to get nowhere. Don't believe me: Pennsylvania pays $6.53 hour more than working full time. https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/st...
As a top producer and associate of the month working in a factory for $7.25 hr doing 2-400 units per hour, I was treated like a dog, no breaks, no bathrooms, no benefits, no full time pay for full time hours.

When a 50 lb trolley fell from the second floor and hit me on my head-busting my head open-bleeding on the floor-my manager did nothing. No calls to get me medical treatment. It was a manager from a different department that assisted me off the floor and wiped the blood off my face when nobody would touch me.

I had to go to the hospital. I couldn't sue due to Osha laws and the company having multiple lawyers. I wasn't injured enough to be paid a dime. I now suffer from that horrendous working lifestyle including severe spinal stenosis, severe anemia, copd, asthma, chronic bronchitis (diesel fumes from factory near loading dock), vertigo, raynaud's in right thumb with zero blood flow in that finger, ganglion cysts in right wrist (repetitive movement), hus (fatal blood disorder), pre-diabetes, and this is to name just a few.

This is the world we live in and they wonder why we won't go back to this lifestyle. I was seventeen when this happened and I'm now 47 with three kids to support as a single mom and now with multiple heath issues.

If I was paid living wages I'd run out tomorrow and work around the clock but it's not happening now nor ever as I see it after ten years of job hunting as long term unemployed homemaker.

I feel sorry for others caught in this web of poverty because it's difficult when you're left bankrupt, homeless, and w/o a job to support oneself with zero savings or credit to get re-established in a work force you gave up twenty years earlier to raise your family.

I pray those who are struggling find peace and find a way to stay strong and maintain their mental and physical health. It's depressing, it's sad, it's humiliating to have to live this way when you have so much talent and expertise but it's who you know and not what you know that matters most.

God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment