Thursday, March 25, 2021

Book Review: "The Truth About Melody Brown" By Lisa Jewell

 


First and foremost I'm still misty eyed that I didn't receive an early ARC that was requested on Jan. 15th for this Jan. 26th novel via NetGalley.

I did try numerous other avenues to obtain a copy and was left holding the bag -not a good feeling-as a top reviewer (#28 USA of All Time) at Goodreads (which I'm still waiting for Goodreads to update) our Top Reviewer stats.

Now on to this show: It's a lovely thriller about a young girl named Melody who isn't playing any songs but instead weeping over the fact her home burned down as a child, she suffers from repressed memories, and a hypnotist at a show caught her off guard (embarrassed her) and made her recall her past childhood.

As if this wasn't enough this flops back and forth between time lines and as you can tell from various reviewers it's confusing and I'd note what we are told through repression and what Melody knows are two different set of circumstances.

Many noted that it's also unbelievable and while I don't feel necessarily that way it can be viewed as such as I can see how that might come about to be.
As for the plot twists they were good and many of them were unique in their tales of the unknown.

For example: The entire theory revolving around blood relatives, sisters to be more exact, those who we had no idea would reappear out of the blue for a last visit or two.
Emily I see you girl and wonder where you've been.

Jane Victoria Ribblesdale should've been busy raising her own but instead she got caught up in a mess with some prison time. Broadstairs Baby Snatcher is one terminology that might come to mind in this situation along with another name for the next character but I don't want to throw out too much.
As for Edward James Mason I'm glad he was located and back to his rightful parent(s) as he's now eighteen and could use some guidance after all he's encountered.

The past thirty years were busy for Melody and perhaps this new version of Melody is off and running to a whole new set of milestones.

A splendid tale that I hope you'll enjoy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment