Sunday, March 7, 2021

Book Review: "Yoga Pant Nation" By Laurie Gelman

 


Laura has once again raised the bar for all Class Moms with this joyous and pleasurable read featuring our favorite Jen Dixon, husband Ron, two college aged daughters, and son Max the fifth grader.

She's now a grandmother to two year old Maude as she works on securing a position at Fusion in becoming a new spin instructor. Peloton is all the rage and so too is the new and improved antics of the fifth grade class and their parents.

OMG! It never ends with hilarious and relatable issues to tackle -Jen is always finding herself more often than not on the receiving end of the brunt of the complaints and is always on top of the current issues that need to be addressed.

Meanwhile, her parents have just experienced carbon monoxide poisoning from a small gas leak, Raj and Viv are having issues, and 'Raffle Mania' is in full swing.
What could possibly go wrong?!

As a single mom of three teens having covered all bases with all three graduating in 2021 from three different levels-College, High School, and Elementary -I can tell you the drama, trauma, and spin never stops. I wear yoga pants daily. My hair is often a wreck. I don't know the meaning of new clothes or dressing up. My idea of fashion is having a black outfit to wear-actually that's the only color I wear and ironically, I'm told I don't deserve a break till my kids are 18-ok, so one's 20, the other's 17 soon to be 18 next month, and my youngest is 14 going on 30 -no, seriously -girls are twice the fun.

No, doubt I'm overprotective having nearly lost all three of my kids due to health concerns, having found ourselves homeless from divorce, having lost all sense of direction post divorce era-I'll tell ya nothing brings me joy than being able to still be in my teens lives. Whether it's dropping off that college form for the honor society induction program or attending the social gatherings and listening to that same Christmas carol for the 1,000th time - it's a blessing. Don't take it for granted.

They'll come a time when they won't want you there and you'll be an empty nester soon enough. So, my theory is surely if the driving instructor didn't teach the kids to drive in snow then I'll gladly take the initiative to drive them to college during those winter months here in Northeastern Pennsylvania till they feel comfortable and if that's wrong so be it. Ps. I've seen other parents there so fess up- you do the same thing in the winter. 

I sadly lost my niece when she was 12 yo. in a car accident in Florida from an alleged driver speeding causing a 7 car pile-up resulting in 4 people dead -my niece the only child-twelve years old nearly 5 yrs ago. That day is forever etched in my memory as I wasn't there but a passing driver on the opposite lane of I-4 took a video while sitting in stopped traffic. I cannot erase those images.

So, the moral of this story is take time to laugh, smile, and hug one another because as I sit here typing this I reflect upon just a year ago when I had sinus tachycardia resulting in high EKG and a trip to ER from being diagnosed with influenza.

It's always a struggle but as long as you have your health, your family, your friends, and a will to live you have it all.

No matters your struggles during these extremely difficult times remember to stop and smell those roses and love one another.

I hope this review entices others to get in touch with these fab new works by Gelman and to run not walk to the nearest bookstore to grab the others off the shelf.

Till we meet again for another wonderful journey. ..

No comments:

Post a Comment